Author Topic: Linen Backed Bows?  (Read 19448 times)

tradrick

Linen Backed Bows?
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:34:48 am »
Hey guys ,a few ?'s about backing a bow with linen.I've finally got most of my stuff together to start on my daughters maple board bows.Which I plan on backing with a colorful linen to appeal to the girls.My ?'s are is there any particilar method of applying the backing?I'll be useing Tite BondeII.Is it as simple as basting on the glue and smoothing out wrinkles and/or air bubbles?If not please explain.Also,is a linen backing going to make much difference in tiller?Should I apply backing before I final tiller it?If anyone has pics or links to a linen backed process being done please post.Thanks in advance for all the great help.tradrick

Offline snedeker

Re: Linen Backed Bows?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 12:42:08 pm »
Your strategy of smoothing on glue and smoothing out the fabric is correct.  THe ones I've done, I back it before any tillering.  Fabric doesn't make a bit of difference in tillering.  the hardest part is trimming the eddges for a smooth line.

Dave

Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 09:26:29 am »
For trimming the fabric, I'd recommend using a sharp knife blade after the glue has set but while it's still a little tacky.  This method worked well for me with hide glue and a hemp fabric backing I used to use, so it might work alright with a synthetic glue as well.

All the best!

-Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 10:14:42 am »
I would wet the linen first then get as much water out with a dry paper towel by rolling it up tight then apply it to the bow. I think this will allow the linen to accept the glue better.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:25:17 am »
I've done about 15 linen backed bows, put an even coat of glue on the limb then the linen on top, use yer fingers to work the linen into glue while smoothing it out work from handle to tips. then I put a little bit more linen on top and work that in, Next day whem dry use a razor knife to trim.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 03:08:52 pm »
Like Pat I would recommend wetting the linen first.  It will take up the glue much better.  When it is about half dry spread some more glue over the top.  If you do not round over the edges on the back of the bow you can trim the excess linen off much cleaner. Wait until the glue is almost, but not completely, dry.  Use a razor blade. Works great.

Stop in at some place that sells fabric.  Look for a bolt of light weight, 100 percent cotton, Pink, White and Green camo. ;D
Use the same method above to put one layer of this camo over the linen. Your girls will love it.  This technique of prettying up a bow has been field tested.  It works great.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 10:54:33 pm »
I don't get it.  Why wet it?

Dave

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 10:58:27 pm »
A rat-tail file is also a quick, easy way to get rid of the linen overlap. You might want to check with someone in fabrics, but I don't think linen and cotton are the same material, or will yield similiar results.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 09:56:22 am »
Not the same at all, linen is made od flax, cotton is well cotton. I see in the fabric store they have linens in patterns
but its not 100% linen, the 100% linen I have seen iand used is a more natural tone. I just spray paint it a base color
then you can let the kids color it with sharpie markers that will get them involved as well.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

tradrick

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 07:34:38 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice as usual.Sorry its taken so long to respond,been real busy here lately.tradrick