Author Topic: Blue fort payne?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline DLH

Blue fort payne?
« on: April 07, 2012, 10:52:56 pm »
Found some more rock in the creeks. Has a lot smoother grain to it then the muldrough (sp) I have found just wondering if this blue is typical of fort payne? Anymore specific name for it because muldrough is fort payne too correct? I like how it breaks just need to find some that isn't fractured too bad can anything be done with fractured rock thought some might could salvaged if anything thought it would make good practice if all else fails?

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline TRACY

Re: Blue fort payne?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:06:38 am »
Not sure where you're at, but it sounds more like Kentucky blue or Sonora flint. Not my neck of the woods, so maybe someone near you will chime in with their experience. As far as freeze fractures, salvage pieces big enough to make points from and leave the rest.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:59:08 am »
Amen to that! The fractured rock is pretty much all junk. If you have big peices you might be able to salvage a sizeable core.. Anything big enough to make an arra head goes into my bucket though..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DLH

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:38:16 am »
I don't think its ky blue cause its not nodular and think thats out of my range think sonora is too maybe its not blue more of a light pale blue not like the sonora or ky blue even though I have found a piece that is blue for sure was shocked to find it where I did. Wish I could post pictures have some that is basketball sized plan on gettin more this next weekend.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:06:27 am »
Don't know where you are at.... But, I found several Baskedball sized nodules of a blue "Bangor" chert here in Decatur Alabama several years back.

The stuff I found is good quality.  Only found it one time.  It was dug out of ditches where storm and sewer drains were being installed. 

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09:10 am »
I wish i'da grabbed those while at your place David - good stuff :) :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.