Author Topic: store bought sinew  (Read 3536 times)

Offline bushboy

store bought sinew
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:53:53 pm »
Hey guys,am very happy to finally become a member!it's great to be amounst a bunch of characters who share my passion!that being said ,  bought some sinew at a trading and it is very waxy In texture and I never work with sinew before ,so I don't know what is right?any advise would be great! Thx's
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: store bought sinew
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:31:24 pm »
I'd be willing to bet it's tallow from the deer.  I had some like that and I washed it with Dawn diswashing liquid and warm water.  Then I laid it out flat on cardboard and let it dry again.  I repeated the washing several times until it lost that waxy or greasy feel. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:35:35 pm »
Thx's 4 the repy , am in northern manitoba so maybe it,s caribou.good stuff?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:22:59 am »
It's northern woodland cree made it comes in the form of a ball of very heavy course twine and very strong!can I back a short burr oak bow with sucess?thxs

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:38:36 am »
Are you sure that it isn't ARTIFICIAL sinew?  Comes in a spool and yellowish in color.  Very waxy.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:41:17 am »
pull off a few inches and set a match to it.  Does it burn?  When you pinch it out, is the hot end goey?  LIke melted plastic?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 01:05:27 am »
Sounds like artificial sinew to me.  Can you post a picture of it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:30:22 am »
Oh yes ,have been had!smells like burning poly ,thx's not very primitive!o

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:41:36 am »
Save it for stitching up a quiver or other projects.  Real sinew comes in pieces the length of a deer, elk, caribou, moose, or other similar critters leg from the hoof to the knee.  It is the tendon that attaches the two.  If it has been processed, it will be the same length, just in small string like bundles of fibers.  I have some I could trade if you are interested.  I don't need much for it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 09:48:49 pm »
Yeah that sound good osage outlaw,tried to email u but it did'nt work on my smart phone.will be going home sunday so will try on my laptop prob monday !bobbyjoe!