Author Topic: Hickory in large log form required  (Read 4453 times)

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
Re: Hickory in large log form required
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 09:21:43 am »
Oh - so you were looking for more of a stave, not the whole log??  I was holding off on splitting the other logs into staves because I thought you wanted a whole one... I'm going to split one or two of the other logs today (hopefully), & I'll post some more pics with more exact measurements as well.  For a partial log, I may even  be able to weigh it (maybe).
Yes the second from the left out of the split log does look good - to me anyway.
I should know better.

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
Re: Hickory in large log form required
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 05:18:33 pm »
Uh-oh, a long lunch break got the remaining 2 splitable logs split.  The grain isnt as straight as I thought it was, and the splits are all twisting already - I dont know if I can get any straight bows out of them. Likewise 2 of the ones I split yesterday are twisting too, looking at these on my garage floor right now I'm only seeing 1 split that will definitely get me straight staves, the "2nd from the left."

Mike, we may have a miscommunication, I thought you wanted a whole log for boards so I split the one that I thought might get me 3 or 4 staves and posted pics of them; I always seem to be too hasty with my posts, I was excited that I might get a few really good staves and you could have the other log(s). I'm kind of annoyed with myself for not being clearer - this happens to me a lot, then I feel like I made a commitment before I was ready to do so and I end up giving everything away and not having any for myself.
So... I think I need to let these dry a bit to make sure I can get the staves I need before I give up the only section that might stay straight.

Do check on the logistics to make sure its feasible but dont put down any cash yet because I dont have any other hickorys to take down

Hopefully this isnt coming across as backpedaling & doesnt end up getting me banned.
I should know better.