Author Topic: Can shooting at hard things with bamboo arrows unstraighten them?  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
I took my worst boo arrow and desided to do a hardness test today, i shot at everything, from rocks to trees, my last couple of shots fish-tailed, I thought that it was my form so I went in. Once inside I saw how wonky it was, has this happened to anyone before, even though it was my worst arrow (but straight at one point) I'm gonna try to save it
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Can shooting at hard things with bamboo arrows unstraighten them?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:09:30 pm »
I have seen this with any arrow (even carbon). you beat something hard enough it will mishape.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:45:31 pm »
if it isnt too bad you can just straighten it in the field.. I am constantly checking my arrows for straightness when I shoot 3d courses and I just gently bend them against the curve and hold for a sec then sight down the arrow til she's straight again.  If it is too severe put a lil heat to it!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:35:31 am »
Always check arrows for straightness after each shot in the field.  That also gives you a chance to check the shaft for any cracks or splinters.  If you suspect a splinter, bend it until it makes a sharp cracking noise.  Trust me, it's better than having it fail just as the string slams it forward, shattering the shaft and sinking it 4 inches deep into your bowhand.

Alternatively, keep your insurance up to date and make good friends with a ER surgeon.  GOOD friends.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:18 am »
I had a sourwood shoot arrow that I had shot hundreds of times and it shot very well. I hit a rock with it one day and it didn't get crooked but lost its spine. No mattor how I turned it it would not shoot well after that. Actually the tail end looked like a windmill each time I shot it.  ???
  I'd say yes. you could make a cane arrow crooked again by hitting something hard.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesquite

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 03:18:26 pm »
  Trust me, it's better than having it fail just as the string slams it forward, shattering the shaft and sinking it 4 inches deep into your bowhand.

Alternatively, keep your insurance up to date and make good friends with a ER surgeon.  GOOD friends.

This makes me want to stay inside.  :'(

I get hurt enough as it is.

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 04:58:31 pm »
Can you use heat to restraighten bamboo, or does heat weaken it more after the nodes are sanded and the finish is on?
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:05:44 pm »
Heat is what you use the straighten and restraighten boo. I use our gas kitchen stove.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:49:40 pm »
Was the arrow weak in spine to begin with?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 06:28:27 pm »
No, but I wasn't thinking spine, just structurally. But, does it weaken the spine to keep heating and straightening?
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 07:12:14 pm »
you beat something hard enough it will mishape.

Yep.. College did this to me....  I came out of college all MISHAPED :laugh: 8) :o ;D :D ;) :)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 07:49:16 pm »
 ::) I am glad to see that there are adults other than my father that have a teenage sence of humor :laugh:

I re-bent the arrow, it shoots fine now.
I was just wondering... I sanded the nodes on these (home depot boo) but when I get the Tonkin from bamboo supply company(getting soon now) will I need to sand those?
I will probably try a few different things since I will have so many
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »
Did you watch those ytube vids of the Japanese Master making arrows? Even in a Japanese, it is worth watching. He takes them from raw boo to finished arrows. 3 vids.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 11:19:18 pm »
that's why i shoot hickory arrows that i whittled out of 1x8 lumber i can shoot rocks all day with them out of my 63# longbow
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 12:17:24 am »
Duck. Those solid shafts are great, but the ones I buy and have had made for me tend to break right behind the heads, these boo shafts are darn near indestructible, as you will see soon enough