Author Topic: A visit from J W Halverson  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

A visit from J W Halverson
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:16:00 am »
JW has a non profit raptor facility in South Dakota and was given a Ruffy Hawk for his keeping.  The hawk was located in Cody and after a long wait for papper work he was able to make the trip to pick up the bird.  That was my good fortune as he and his able as sitant, Issac, spent the night with us.  Mike and Stacey Huston are the only PA people that come by our place, so having him visit was a real treat.  I can tell you JW is one of a kind and its been a long time since I have laughed so much.  There were a few elk for him to see on the hill across the pasture and the Fish & Game trapped two problem grizzles in the neighbor's yard across the river while he was here.  Not enough time to show him our country, but his visit was a real treat for us.  He would be a hoot to have at the Classic.  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: A visit from J W Halverson
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:45:50 am »
I'd call you a "LUCKY fellow" Joe.  I bet that was a hoot. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 04:07:59 pm »
Folks, I was the one to be blessed.  Joe and his lovely sweetheart just plain spoiled us.  She really knows what banana pudding is supposed to be! 

Their place is just breathtaking.  You cross this classic little trout stream to get to their front yard.  Then you look in any direction and see mountains rising up into the clouds, snow capped peaks and all that Ansel Adams stuff!  Sunday morning I got a chance to see a grizzly doing about 40 mph down a gravel road.  He was safely ensconced in one of those big old culvert on wheels traps and was being transported off Joe's neighbor's place where he had feasted on their son's pet 12 yr old sheep.  Yup, sleepy little old Meeteetsee is one interesting part of the world.  (You gotta go to the chocolate shop downtown, I blew over $20 there)

I'll post some pictures later when I get the opportunity. 

Joe, I really feel blessed to have met you face to face.  You're one of the kindest and most genuine people this world has seen.  And your wife is twice that!

Oh, and all the way home all Isaac could talk about was how much he enjoyed sitting around the table talking with adults that didn't talk down to him or ignore him like furniture.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:51:53 pm »
Sounds like a great visit and CONGRATS on bringing home the new hawk JW!!!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:10:33 pm »
I had the pleasure to meet and see Joe two years at the Classic and have one of his canteens he made for me. I can only imagine what an afternoon with JW would be like.  8)   My sides hurt just thinking about it.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:20:20 pm »
Sounds like a great group all around.

Lane

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:30:05 pm »
An up date on the bear traping!  The Game and Fish trapped a second bear the night J W left for home and that bear proved to be the one that came in the neighbor's yard and killed their pet sheep.  It was collared and had killed a bunch of sheep over around Pinedale.  So it had been relocated to the Wood River.  This time they put it down.  To late to save the family pet sheep.  The first bear was released up the North Fork towards Yellowstone.  Since he was a older mature boar, he will be back here in three weeks!  There are just too many griz for the amount of natural food.  Several people have been killed and eaten the last two years in and around Yellowstone.  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 04:29:04 am »
In my dad's community they put down 6 mountain  lions in one week. That is what happens when we move into an animals house.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:04:16 am »
I agree with JW about Joe and his sweet wife,that had to be a treat for all of yall. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:23:47 am »
I can't even imagine the satisfaction felt to be fortunate to live in a setting like that! I know that there are probably hardships associated with it...long drive for groceries, etc., but to day after day be able to live in and view such beautiful surroundings!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...