Author Topic: stranger in the woods  (Read 13256 times)

Offline armymedic.2

stranger in the woods
« on: August 27, 2007, 09:46:04 pm »
i went for a walk last night to stump shoot a bit and just be in the woods.   unfortunately, farm work has kept me so busy this would be my first time out this summer.  when i stepped in i was thinking about an auction i was just at where our cattle didn't fetch a great price.  my mind was on overdrive.  i walked around for 1/2 hour without seeing a single bird or squerril.  my farm is loaded with them- i knew something was wrong.  i started picking out rotting logs and letting arrows fly.  by my third arrow my mind was clear, and i felt like i belonged in the woods again.  i went around and checked a few stands, and some old generational trails.  i even started to see critters again.  it was great, and it was exactly what i needed after a tough day. 

don;t forget to get back out there before season, or next thing you know you will find a deer staring at you from 80 yards.  the woods are kind, and they will let you back in- but you have to ask.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline sonny

Re: stranger in the woods
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:03:08 pm »
I have said it before- will say it again- that I fully believe that a short walk in the woods is good for the soul.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:05:22 pm »
I believe in what you say AM! I too need to get out before season - you loose so much from being in society day to day!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 10:16:43 pm »
I'm fortunate that my job keeps me in the woods almost every day.But when I have to get away in "huntin' mode",my wife calls it sanity maintenance.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:30:48 pm »
Sanity maintanance ;D ;D ;D. I'll have to remember that one!

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 11:41:53 pm »
             What Persimmon said......bob
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:33:40 am by Kowechobe »

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 12:18:37 am »
A walk in the woods definatly has healing powers. Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 02:04:04 am »
I am fortunate that I live in the woods. I hear and see critters all day and hear very little human intrusion. ;D...but when I get out and it still takes a while to relax.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

CHUCKER

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 03:24:06 pm »
Its still one of the best & cheapest perscriptions out there for stress related ailments. And if you can hear running water all the better!!

jamie

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 09:09:23 pm »
was just talking to somebody about this. telling me their friend had depression. just cant understand the whloe depression thing so i told him to go sit in the woods. people just dont get it . ive always said if i was married with kids i wouldnt exist. id walk in and never come out. peace

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 09:49:10 am »
haha, jamie i hear ya, but i am married and have a daughter.  the greatest thing here is, i have been able to take my wife out hunting with me many times, and she truely enjoys it.  she shot her first coyote while she was 5 months pregnant with my daughter.  last year she shot a nice 5 point buck, and watching her jump aup and down and uhg me, then proceed to gut it all by herself was perhaps one of the most rewrding experiences of my hunting life.  the trick is, you just have to find the right wife.  no doubt, there is alway at least one fight during sseason about how much i am not around, but she always comes arounsd to realize that is who i am, and she knew it when she married me.  i actually had us plan our wedding out of season so i would never be stuck at home celebrating our anniversary instead of hunting ;D.  besides my first harvest wiht my own bow and stone points, which i hope is this year, my daughters first hunts will be the next biggest hunt of my life.

one time my wife and i were squerril hunting with .22's. and one was in a tree staright up.  she shot and it came tumblinig down with a big hole in it's head.  i walked over to it, and said""you shot it in ther head!"  she saids"i know."  for the rest of the day ever squerril she shot had a hole in it's head.  i think she killed 5 that day.  ya just can't beat that :o

jamie

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 08:08:08 pm »
thats awesome. . i started taken my kids huntin last year . first time i take my daughter out we pull up and the deer were running everywhere cause we showed up late. thought it was over. we go walking in and a doe runs right up to us and stops. my daughter yells shoot it daddy. it stood there 20yrds away,  let me pull out an arra , talk to my daughter and draw back and stick it. died within 40 yards. i kept having to explain to my daughter that that wasnt hunting. that was just a freak gift .  :)

Offline cowboy

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 01:41:45 am »
 ;D ;D ;D Like that one Jamie, don't happen every lifetime.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 09:51:02 am »
haha, that's great.  i think i saw that deer's siblings yesterday.  i wasa out trying to whack a red squerril in the pines, and two deer busted me at thirty yards, then they let me get to about 18 before they spooked.   another month and a half sure would like to see those two does again ;D

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 11:47:24 am »

I was having a conversation with a guy at work this week, and the discussion came around to hunting. He said he had been a couple of times, but got tired of sitting being bored, and freezing his tail off. He's a big sports fan...baseball, football, etc. Nothing wrong with that, just not for me. I can never take part in those conversations about games and teams because it just doesn't interest me. Makes me kind of an outsider to many folks, but I don't care.

I remember sitting in a stand one evening many years ago when we were getting a rare snow during bow season. The feeling of quiet solitude during that evening resulted in my staying in the stand well past dark just because I hated to leave. The last hour or so of my stay didn't involve hunting, but just enjoying the woods. ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...