Author Topic: stranger in the woods  (Read 13261 times)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: stranger in the woods
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 12:24:49 pm »
Greg, Our attitudes are very similar.  ;) I have never been a sports fan but could sit in the boring woods forever. If they think the woods are boring, they sure aren't paying much attention. I like to make myself part of the surroundings, not intrude.  ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 04:30:36 pm »
Greg, Pat I agree. Had a similar experience Hunting in Conn during ML season. A late afternoon snow started and my hunting buddy came over and sat down next to me. We talked quietly and just took in the scene of a few squirrels cavorting in the snow like kids do. A chipmonk came up to me and sat on the toe of my boot and looked at us (we had face masks on) for about 1 minute and then just left. About an hour after dark we finally got up and left. I had uncapped my rifle as well as Fred did. We met a game warden at my truck (It was way dark by then) and it was the first thing he asked. "Are they capped". We talked with him a while and I have NEVER forgotten that day and neither has Fred. It was one of those quiet times with a good friend that will last forever. Good hunting guys.

Dick

tesart

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 09:09:15 pm »
Right on.  In my house (2 kids and a wife) the woods is called "daddy's Church".  It is where I proposed to my wife and where we got married. 

Sanity maintanance ;)  couldn't be said better

tom

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 10:09:48 pm »
  I think that's why I like turkey hunting so much.I love to sit in full camo and watch what goes on in nature.I've had doe's walk up and sniff my boots ,with that nervous shaking and tail tucked between it's legs.I thought that was just cool.I didn't like the time a cow stepped on my foot and almost crapped on me though. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 08:42:39 am »
I remember my first hunt to Colorado...really exciting. We were bow hunting in the White River National Forest near Meeker & Buford, Colorado. We backpacked in about four miles and camped next to Big Fish Lake. The mountains were simply breath-taking. Pappy has been to that same spot and knows what I'm talking about. The first morning hunt I was sitting in the edge of one of the parks watching the sun come up. Heard a bull or two bugle way off. After about an hour or so, I kept looking up above the timber line to a flat rocky area just prior to the rock face. I decided I had to go up there, and after about an hour climb I broke out of the timber and onto a really large shelf with boulders and the rock face before me. I sit and took it all in for over an hour. There were little animals that weren't even afraid of me (marmots?).  I guess they had learned bad lessons about humans yet due to lack of seeing many of us. :) It took me a couple of days of soaking in the beauty of the mountains before I could settle down and seriously hunt. I think I shot once during that hunt and stuck an arrow in the ground under a small muley bucks belly. Extremely successful hunt! ;)

Good to know there are more folks out there that appreciate the "boring" outdoors. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...