Author Topic: Help!!!  (Read 6309 times)

osprey

Help!!!
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:08:51 pm »
 Can some one tell me what the dimensions for a 120 pound yew bow would be I already know length and width but every where I look no one can tell me how thick it should be like in volume 1 of the Bowyer's Bible (as well as Saxton Pope's hunting with the bow and arrow). I have successfully helped a friend build an 82 pound war bow, and I have access to good wood for cheap. Any help you can give me would be awesome.

Offline heavybow

Re: Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 05:47:08 am »
Osprey That will depends how dense your yew bow is what length of bow. Marc st louis he can help you marlon

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:27:33 pm »
If you got the width, just make it as thick as it is wide along it's whole lenght. Then you can gently start to bend it and take of more on the belly, while checking the weight regularly.
Some of the Mary Rose bows are 35mm wide and 32mm thick at the middle (Clark 1963).

As Marlon says, it depends a lot on how dense the wood is.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 08:43:02 pm »
Like Kviljo said! Start off as thick as it is wide and you should have plenty to play with. Thats what I do and it seems to work for me!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

osprey

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 01:17:07 am »
Thanks for the information! I can't wait to start working on the bows that I have planned!!

duffontap

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 05:32:13 pm »
A good place to start would be getting the depth to equal the width and then remove wood from the belly until you get your desired weight.  A depth of 3/4-7/8's of your width is desireable.  I've built one 120# yew war bow and it was 77" ntn, 1 3/8" wide and about 1 3/16"+ thick at the handle. 

Good luck.

J. D.