Author Topic: new old bow  (Read 4651 times)

kdub

new old bow
« on: August 27, 2007, 11:52:36 pm »
hey yall, i as given a longbow from someone at work.  the man who gave it to me is in his seventies and says he got it when he was in high school or college making the bow possibly 50 or more years old.  I think that it is osage, dont know the draw weight.  I dont think that this bow has even been strung for years possibly.  It seems to be in good shape but is there anything i need to do to ease the bow back into service before i can string it up and start shooting?  thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: new old bow
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:42:46 am »
When dealing with old wood bows patience and slow exercise are a must. You have to reteach the wood to bend so take it slow. I would start with a loose string and pull it only a few inches the first day and gradually increase the draw over a few days at least then brace it and start again.
   Any markings on your new(old) bow?  How about some pics.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

kdub

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:37:12 am »
I wonder how much i should initially brace it.  This bow is about 68 in tip to tip.  I will try to get some pics, but i have no digital camera, maybe I can borrow one so yall can see it.  I havent notived any markings, it could be possible that they are hidden under the leather wrapping on the riser.

Robinwho

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 05:02:51 pm »
I would floor tiller for a while each limb, if the bow was kept in air conditioning you might want to move it out to a non A/c room for a week or so before you start to reteach the wood.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 07:31:45 pm »
  Does the bow have any kind of black inlay around the handle area.And is it backed.Alot of old lemon wood bows from that time period look real dark like old Osage.By the way,I have an 80 year old long bow I still shoot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

kdub

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 11:05:50 pm »
the bow is not backed nor is there any inlay.  80 years wow thats awsome!  i know this sounds ignorant but as i am new, what does floor tiller mean? thanks

Offline gifford

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 11:50:07 pm »
I'd have to go along with Mullet, it's likely an old lemonwood bow. They were very common in the 1940s and 1950s; My first real bow was a well used lemonwood, cost $3.00 with a couple of arrows, tab and bracer back in 1959. I shot it a lot. However, they can be brittle now, cracking or breaking  if suddenly drawn. Only you can decide it if you're willing to break it or just let be a interesting old bow on the wall. If you want to shoot it, really want to; try tying a loose string from nock to and gently pull it back a couple of inches and slowly it down. Try it a few times a day, then an inch or two more after a few days. Eventually you'll get back to a draw length of 26 or so inches. So far so good, well, give it shot.

There is alway a possiblity it is dark stained hickory. Ben Pearson made a lot of hickory bows that seem have stood up very well over time. I have an old one that has been shot my me quite a bit in years past but I keep it in the rack nowdays.

Hope this helps, just my opinion and your miileage may vary. :-)

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 11:56:17 pm »
Kdub, Floor tillering is the method of flexing the tip of the bow on the ground with your hand on the grip to see what the bend of the limb looks like.

On your bow I'd just gently flex it on a pad just to see if you hear any cracking sounds. If it feels good flex a little more, but ideally you might want to wait until you can have someone with experience help you in person with it.

I restored an old lemonwood longbow last year, and it shot great. probably from the 40's.

Rich-

kdub

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 08:35:11 am »
thanks for all of the tips guys.  When bending it I have heard a slight creaking, is this bad, or is it just part of the process to hear something like that?  Ill find out what kind of wood it is for sure tonight because my father in law who is a wood worker is going to look at for me.