Author Topic: What did you do today? (osage board pics added)  (Read 6645 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
What did you do today? (osage board pics added)
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:50:35 pm »
I finally got around to cutting some Crepe Myrtle staves.

I also finished tillering my HBI for my swap bow. I am about to build up the handle with super glue saturated leather. Can anyone tell me how long it generally takes to dry between layers?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:37:49 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline SA

Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 10:59:24 pm »
those look pretty straight, i want to try it out but its usually in someones yard as decor :-\ guess i could sneak  a piece  out  while no ones looking >:D
Shawn Acker

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:13:47 am »
I spent the last 2 days trying to claim some lawn and garden space around my humble abode. Not going to me much time for anything else over the next week I'd guess. The neighbors tractor and a freind from towns riding tiller did their part and now comes time for the hand tools and labor.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 04:53:54 am »
i useually glue the leather together and clamp, wait an hour or so and ruff shape it before i glue it to the bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:38:45 am »
I wrote up what I did.
Here.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 10:04:39 am »
Thanks, guys.

Last night I also cut some HD bamboo garden stakes to arrow length, straightened them, and sanded off the nodes. I will dip them, today and put nails in for points on some and save a few for bone points. I haven't decided whether to use self nocks or put dowels in for standard nocks. What do you think?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 10:26:28 am »
I say self nocks on that bamboo, it's a lot easier and quicker to make. Can't wait to see some crepe myrtle bow. I'd show ya all what I did yesterday, but it involves some stupid glass on top of a great piece of ipe. I had a moment of silence for that bow before adding the glass...made me sad, but I guess it's not my bow. That's what the dude wanted, and payed for, so that's what he got.

Tattoo Dave 
Rockford, MI

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:47:51 pm »
Yall are gonna laugh at this. But the Osage board I ordered came in Mon. It was really flat, but had a coat of paint or heavy varnish on it! I couldn't even see the grain, but I went ahead and accepted it....about 80 bucks for a 4/4, 7.5" wide, 8 1/2' long board. I took it by a mill and had the finish planed off, and guess what....I know the suspense is killing you. The grain looks like a tornado hit it....well it is really not that bad. I may be able to salvage one bow out of it. I'll post a pic later and have some questions from some of you guys about my options with, and without a backing.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 12:50:01 pm »
I broke my fifth hatchet trying to get the split started on some osage.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 01:21:01 pm »
That sounds like some extra hard osage, 2many.

Here is the board. It is so long I took 3 pics. Do any of you see a bow or possibly some billets in there?

Pic 1 - bottom

Pic 2 - middle

Pic 3 - top

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:36:54 am by lesken2011 »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: What did you do today? (osage board pics added)
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 03:58:47 pm »
I knew the board was bad, but I thought one of you might tell me there was one part of the board that might make a slat. Not even if I back it with hickory? What about for core wood with a back and belly laminate? No hope??

Offline SA

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 04:06:04 pm »
boo is pretty forgiving as backing, but what does the end grain look like ? could you chase a ring?  i've never done that with a board but suppose you could. :-\
Shawn Acker

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 04:06:54 pm »
There are several bows there. 

Back them all with hickory or bamboo. 

You will be fine.

Or send it to me  :laugh:

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 04:37:00 pm »
This board had the front, sides and ends finished with some dark stain/paint. I had the front and back planed to show the grain. I haven't been able to see the end or side grain, yet.

Thanks Prairie Bowyer, that gives me hope. I was hoping people like you and others who have made several board/type bows would chime in with their thoughts>

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 08:38:37 pm »
"That sounds like some extra hard osage, 2many."

Either that or some extra cheapo hatchets, LOL.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair