Author Topic: newbie  (Read 3623 times)

amongo

« on: August 28, 2007, 03:24:04 pm »
hello folks,  Been lurking for quite awhile and decided to start participating, so found the best board I could..  Has a few problems but it's what I got, a  quarter sawed red oak 1x6x7' with the ring line running at a diagonal, I realize  this is not the best, but want to know what type of backing you would use.  Sorry very convoluted sentence.  All comments would be appreciated

Offline DanaM

Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:57:08 pm »
Welcome aboard amongo. Linen is easy to use and can be bought at most fabric stores. Silk works good heck even heavy paper
can work. Check thrift stores and you may find some old silk womens slips or mens ties for cheap. Have fun and ask questions eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:06:00 am »
Welcome ,amongo.I'm no expert on board bows but I would think if it has grain run off
when you lay it out it will take more of a heavy backing to make it hold,like hickory or
boo back,Some one will come along that will know better than me but that would be
my thoughts.Good luck. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 08:07:16 am »
A cloth or rawhide backing would work. Just make sure that you round the back slightly before applying the backing . If a splinter is going to pull up it will start from an edge
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 06:24:04 pm »
And when you lay it out lay it out diagonally (withthe grain). You only get one bow outta your board, but it'll be a good one :).