Author Topic: Going to try a Northern California Indian shooter  (Read 9036 times)

Offline coaster500

Going to try a Northern California Indian shooter
« on: April 25, 2012, 05:24:52 pm »
I have a 43 inch chunk of Yew that I want to make a short Hupa or Klamath Indian type bow. My question is should I use any of the sapwood or take it down to the heart? I have the sinew set aside for this bow I'm just trying to lay it out.

The stave is pretty round across the back...

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline sadiejane

Re: Going to try a Northern California Indian shooter
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:59:17 pm »
sorry-no knowledge/experience regarding yew...
but i have a very similar stave of yew in the shed...
being eying it for nearly two years now trying to figure out where to start-
thinking similar to you, sinew back, short and wide...
so i will be watching here to see what folks gotta say.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:29:04 pm »
I've heard of heavy sinew backing separating sap wood from heart wood. Id probally remove the sap wood. The limbs will be very thin you'll need that thickness to work for you.

Then again...

Ive seen a few sinew backed yew with sap wood.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:54:41 pm »
sadiejane, not much farther than you with this thing but did peel the bark off :)

Thank you sharpend60 ...  I think I'll end up doing that if I don't get any more feedback

If no one speaks up I guess I'll take it down to the heart wood and make the back flat. There is no way I can chase a ring on this thing unless it's the very first one but the back is so curved that I don't think it will work for this wide short bow? The sinew should take care of the violations, I hope???
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:26:03 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:32:31 pm »
Since no has spoke up yet ill take a shot at it ;)....although i have not made such a bow yet,but will be doing so sometime relatively soon ;)  i have decrowned erc to get heartwood in a sinewed bow and the sinew will take care of any ring violations. And i plan on doing the same with one of my yew staves here in the future. Go for it.  Some tribes in the northwest did rip the sapwood off to sinew back it.

I usually dont like to comment and give advice to things i havent done before,so take it for what its worth.  ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 03:51:41 pm »
i've seen pics of some original's that you can see sap wood from the belly, maybe do a search and see what you come up with, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »
Thank guys I guess I'll just wing it and see how it turns out :)

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:46 pm »
You can read about Ishi's bow in TBB 4.  Some bows show no sign of sapwood, and others show a little sapwood on the belly. read through and see what you think.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:44:56 pm »
Pretty sure they're usually all heratwood but i've seen dudes make 'em with sapwood.
Good luck, that's a perty piece of yew.

Offline PaleoNinja

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 08:24:16 pm »
Hi coaster 500,

I've made several West Coast Style bows, so I can speak from experience.

I would absolutely Decrown the billet until the Sapwood only shows along the edges.  The majority of the bow should be heartwood since the heartwood is lighter, and the Sinew is heavy, it's best to get rid of as much sapwood as possible.

I have chased the first growth ring of heartwood before, and had excellent results, however I think that this was unecessary and probably just extra work.  Yew can be badly violated on the backing, and still produce sub 50lb self bows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7E7zekzjOk

That is a 5 Minute Video of me making a Sinew Backed Yew Shorty.  I hope that Helps.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 10:42:42 pm »
Coaster, I'm watching this one. I have a 45" piece i'm getting ready to do also. I've been wanting to make one of these for a while.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 12:19:13 am »
PaleoNinja, great video!!

Question? You applied the sinew fibers dry to bow...  does this work as well as soaking them first. I have never used sinew before so that's why I ask. This is the first time I've seen it done this way.

Thank you for posting

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 12:34:30 am »
coaster the original Homer Yurok bow build videos are back up on youtube now :).  I just rewatched them taking notes this time.  I am working on a 40" hupa bow right now too.  Looks to me like Homer leaves a layer of sapwood, however, I did not on my hupa  bow in progress...wondering if I should have now.  Also, it looks like homer applies the sinew dry and then tamps it down while applying glue.  The one time he dips the sinew in glue is for reinforcing the nocks. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PaleoNinja

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 01:31:46 am »
Thanks Coaster,

You can apply the sinew dry if you've strung the bow into reflex, since the sinews will not shrink.  Honestly however I reccomend doing it the normal way, wet and combed.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 11:53:15 am »
CMB what was the you tube video called???  I put Homer Yurok in the search and nothing came up???

PaleoNinja ...  I think you're right I'll apply wet and combed to help support my newbee bowyer skills :)

Thank you guys...