Author Topic: Hickory Design  (Read 2009 times)

Offline cook1536

Hickory Design
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:15:48 pm »
Hello PA community. I was wondering if you all have some good layout/designs for a hickory? Recurve or not doesnt matter. My mentor Swamp Monkey gave me 3 staves to work with, one of which he called ORNERY!!! I am eventually wanting to tackle a Penobscot Double bow in Hickory but I need to get some others under my belt before I work that one. Being new to bowmaking I have made the pyramid design and want my next few to be different. I dont have any books with different layouts for hickory and cant really find anything on-line. Any and all help is very much appreciated.
Archery is seeing how far you can get from your target, Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get to your target.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Hickory Design
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:40:21 pm »
My bows have all been from boards, so far. (I'm waiting for staves to dry), but I have made a mollegabet design out of hickory that turned out pretty good.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline cook1536

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:24:32 am »
Thanks Kenny. That is a good looking design.  hopfully i can get a few more ideas.
Archery is seeing how far you can get from your target, Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get to your target.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:08:04 am »
Start out simple. For a 28" draw, build your bow 68" long, 1 3/4" wide(MOL)at the fades and out 8" to 10" then a straight taper to 1/2" tips(for now). I prefer to have the center of the handle the center of the bow and equal length limbs. This set up is easier for me to see good tiller with both limbs bending together.
  George Tsoukalas' website says to build a bend through the handle bow first. That is also good info as is the rest of George's site. You can find a link to Georges site at the top of the "How To" page.
  Post lots of pics and ask lots of questions before you jump into that hickory. It will save you a lot of grief!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cook1536

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:30:35 pm »
Thanks Pat, that sounds like the pyramid bow I have already made with hickory. I am looking to see if there were other designs out there for hickory. lesken2011 told me about the mollegabet design but surely there are others out there for hickory.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 06:02:38 pm »
I made a 65" mollegabet bend through the handle type bow out of a hickory sapling.... I think i remember it being about a three inch sapling.  It turned out to be a good shooter.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi