Author Topic: Recent Work  (Read 7543 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Recent Work
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 12:45:53 pm »
Alrighty, you got me kinda excited when you started talking about "the fastest pound for pound bow I have ever built.", ;D. I need to go find some trees around where I cut yours, I seem to have cut every tree I have that is usable for bows anymore.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Ian.

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2012, 12:51:19 pm »
  Ian, to be perfectly honest I think I am addicted to making bows. I just make them for entertainment and seldom even finish them off. Lately I have had more time and have been finishing more of them with true oil and handle wraps. I just enjoy experiencing the behavior of the wood. Every piece of wood is different and I feel like it is a challenge to keep some kind of control over what is happening with it. I don't work very precision, and I don't worry about anything being too perfect, as long as the wood doesn't break down and the bow shoots and handles well I feel like mission accomplished. I am always on the lookout for an exceptional specimen that might have some flight bow potential. I guess I make bows instead of watching TV.

That does sound familiar, I tend to think I am lost without something glued up ready. I remember reading some of your comments on the forum that makes me wonder, "how many has this guy made".
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 05:48:55 pm »
Very nice looking bows,  any chance of seeing a few bending pics??, I think I could learn a lot from you're tillering profiles...nice work..thats a bow in approx 2 days,,not bad
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......