Author Topic: pinesnake backed ash kids bow.  (Read 8036 times)

Offline venisonburger

pinesnake backed ash kids bow.
« on: August 28, 2007, 10:46:45 pm »
This is an ash bend in the handle bow I've been playing around with for awhile, finally finished it so my best friends daughter could start shooting along side her older brother who shoots one of my earlier board bows. this is from an ash stave, for a 7 year old. it's tillered out to 26" she'll probably pull about 20" and the draw wt is probably about 10-12lbs. length is 56" approx 7/8" wide, backed with a pinesnake her and her dad found freshly killed. finished with ebony stain, which I sanded off leaving just a little in the grain, then stained with brazillian rosewood. handle wrapped with yellow dacron, tips painted with acrylic paint.string is artificial sinew.
My son isn't centered on the handle, in the drawn photo, the upper limb actually bends more, I do notice a bit of stiffness on the end of the upper limb, but I think she'll be ok. Have to make some arrows up for her and she can chase chipmunks with the best of them.
VB

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: pinesnake backed ash kids bow.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 11:16:11 pm »
That is a good looking bow and a great looking snake, but the painted tips are my favorite part.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:22:27 pm »
cool looking bow. I also like the tips.  Those pine snakes can get pretty long.
                                                                           Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:53:58 am »
The snake was about 4-5 feet, I had to cut it in half, no skin under the handle and I came up short on each end, that's why I painted both tips. I wanted to do a cute snake head on the one end so it wasn't scary for the new owner. Hope to give it to her in the next week or so.
VB

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 04:05:11 am »

that's a beautifull bow! i love always to see well-made kind's bows for some reason...
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 05:26:53 am »
Beautiful bow,I know she will love it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 09:22:04 am »
Way cool VB, the pine snake skin(eastern fox) is awesome, I've been watching for road kill ones but no luck.
She should be one happy girl with such a nice present.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 10:14:31 am »
Very nice. The PA editor is considering an article about kid's bows. So I'll bookmark it for both Sept BOM and for Kid's Bows
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

makete

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 10:44:20 am »
It's a beaut!!!!!! I know she will be very happy with it. Wish I had neighbors who made bows when I was a kid and then gave them away. Way to go.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:37:06 pm »
Very Nice Bow - Any chance of a full draw by the young recipient if PA does an article on Kids' Bows?
Anyway, got you bookmarked for Sept Self Bow of the Month
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 08:24:06 pm »
I wish I had some of the art skills like that. Really nice job.

Mark

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 08:28:37 pm »
Like that - cool kids bow. Need to get one done for my daughter soon before she grows up ;D
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

tradrick

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:51:56 pm »
That's a great looking bow.I'm sure she'll be very pleased.It also helps give me some ideas for the linen backed maple board bows that I've mentioned on here before for my daughters.In fact I just got back from Hobby Lobby buying leather for the grips and some pink leather lace to tie them on with.Still have'nt found the linen I want to use yet but I'm still looking.Thanks for shareing.tradrick

Offline mamba

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 11:29:05 pm »
Very nice VB   
Ray/NY

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 12:25:11 am »
I'll ask her parents if I can do a full draw by her, if not I'll blurr her face out. hope to get it to her within a  week or so, I have to go and get some 1/4" dia dowels for some arrows for her. I appreciate all the kind comments.
VB