Author Topic: Securing fletching thread  (Read 11197 times)

Offline Stefan

Securing fletching thread
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:20:16 am »
I like to wrap the front of my flecthings with fletching thread. I usually use a bit of Saunders glue (that I also use for my fletching) to secure thread. The glue doesn't really soak into the thread so sometimes it comes lose.

What do you use to secure the fletching thread? Should titebond 3 diluted with water work? Preferably I would like a transparant glue...If i am using white thread I would like it stay white

Greetings,

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Securing fletching thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:26:26 am »
Stefan, I use what is known as a nail knot. I lay a seperate loop if thread down and wrap over that. When I get to the end of the wrap I tuck the tag end into the loop and pull the loop back through the wrap, pull it tight and cut the ends off clost as possible. I use super glue to seal the wraps. Once it is dry I use very fine sandpaper to smooth out the wrap. If necessary I add another coat of super glue to smooth it out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stefan

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 11:43:39 am »
Thanks Pat B,

I also use the nail knot, I will try super glue!

I would like to know what other people use,..
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 12:20:52 pm »
Stefan,
      I secure and seal my wraps with clear fingernail polish. Generally, this will be a clear lacquer, and most all of the cheaper brands are all lacquer.  As the wraps start to "fuzz" through use, ya can simply recoat and smooth down if necessary. Also if you need to re-fletch the arrow you can (most of the time) make a small cut through the thread and peel the whole thing off, followed by a couple wipes with fingernail polish remover and the shaft is good as new.

not sayin its the best way.....just the way I do it
rich

Offline Stefan

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:07:08 pm »
Thanks half eye,

I like your idea of clear fingernail polish, easy to apply and easy to get. I think I will give it a go.

Leonardo

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 01:44:35 pm »
I've used both the fingernail polish and superglue.  I also use Duco cement. Nail hardener works too.  I like the speed of the superglue, I use my fingers to get it all around the threads and then make sure I don't touch them together until the glue dries.  ;)  I use gorilla super glue.  Good luck, dpgratz

ps. on my "primitive" arrows, when I use sinew, I use either a bee propolis or pine pitch sealer made w/ either propolis or pitch disolved in alcohol and applied w/ a q-tip.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 02:33:10 pm »
I sometimes get super glue in a little bottle with a brush applicator. This super glue in a light purple color but dries clear. The little brush applicator works well.
  For sinew wrap I usually use pitch varnish(basically hard pitch dissolved in alcohol)to seal them but also super glue sometimes too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 03:58:42 am »
i've used super glue, clear nail polish and tb3 and got the best results from the last two, but they all work, i use the same knot as patb and stefan, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 12:00:06 pm »
use the loop knot on trad arrows with artificial sinew and duco
with real sinew/primitive arrows i use pitch glue
tho i think i may pick up some clear nail polish or the super glue with applicator for trad just for neatness/simplicity
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Scowler

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:47:38 pm »
When I don't use real sinew I use a double loop knot with artificial sinew and Barge cement. 

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 07:57:39 pm »
I use non-waxed dental floss and duco.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 10:55:32 pm »
I back serve my wrap just like the way you back serve a bow string.  Then I soak it in liquid superglue.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 07:02:51 pm »
I too, back serve my wrappings like a string serving.  For insurance, I'll dab a drop of superglue on the wrap and then spin the shaft on my finger to spread the glue on the entire wrap.  (Quickly, not giving the glue enough time to dry before gluing my finger tip to the wrap)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 06:02:26 pm »
I use Duco on silk thread until it shines and wont soak anymore up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 01:20:02 am »
Hide glue, elmer's, or titebond are my favorites.  Be sure not to dilute the tightbond with water: it makes it very weak.  I've used super glue also but I always seems to get on my fingers and I can't stand it. :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr