Author Topic: Anyone ever tried this patch?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Anyone ever tried this patch?
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:25:42 pm »
I chrysaled a limb on a bow I've spent WAY too much time on to pitch.  I confes I began to have BOM thoughts.

http://www.bowyersedge.com/patch.html

The belly wood is Ipe.  Should I use a scrap of Yew, Osage? or more Ipe?

The discussion that I'm hoping will unfold is "Yes I use that patch al the time and it works like a charm.  I'm having trouble fathoming how it can work because I'd think the mechanics of the bow would send the plug shooting back at the archer.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Anyone ever tried this patch?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 12:34:51 pm »
There was a bow on here not very long ago fixed like that.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:13:57 pm »
I fixed a bow using that techique about 3 years ago. The patch is still holding fine.

I would use Ipe in your case.
Gordon

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:14:55 pm »
Oh I have Hickory also which I think is a bit more flexable in that respect. Why must it be quarter sawn?  I'm not certain I can get patch in Ipe that is quarter sawn.

Thanks again.
PB

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:23:46 pm »
Ipe is so dense it won't make any difference what grain orientation you use.
Gordon

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 05:11:42 pm »
3 years ago  :)  How often is it shot?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »
Oh, I've probably put about 1000 arrows through it since.
Gordon

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 08:03:30 pm »
Awesome.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 12:43:37 am »
I've done a couple like that.  You certainly don't want to use hickory, as it's weak in compression.  Ipe would be the ticket, as would osage.  I always use URAC for this application, as it has gap-filling properties that glues like Titebond don't.  Titebond and the like therefore require the surfaces to mate perfectly, which can be tricky in this instance. 
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 01:56:16 am »
The first one of those I did was probably 10-ish years ago.  I was meticulous in fitting the patch perfectly and clamped it solidly, as if it were a backing strip.  I couldn't bear to fit anything that wasn't absolutely perfect, as Dean's article recommends against.  Soon after, the patch started to crack along the glue joint.  I showed it to Dean at a rendezvous, who told me the feathering angle was too severe and that my clamping starved the glue joint.  He said something to the effect of, "This is the only case where sloppy craftsmanship pays dividends."  I listened to his advise and have done several more of those patches over the years, exactly as he describes.  All have held fine. 

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 02:08:33 am »
You guys are making me happy!

Well I used Ipe.  I cut the piece so that the "belly" in terms of ring growth was the belly of the bow.  I got lucky and got a great fit.  I scrapped it up with my grooving scraper and clamped it with little hobby clamps and Urac.  It sucks that Urac is soon to be no more. But he discusses another  option.

I'm so stoked over this fix.  I was about to serve the string and put in the arrow passes.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 03:11:03 am »
No clamps!  Or at least no more pressure than it takes just to hold the patch in place.  That's one of the key successful elements.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 04:15:47 pm »
the little hobby clamps slip and don't hold "tight".  mostly holding it in place with light pressure.

I'm so stoked over this patch.  I hope it works out.  It's a great excuse to keep the bow for me  :laugh:  I seem to wind up giving, trading or selling my bows away almost as fast as I can make them.  Now I'll be like "Patched that one, not certain about it's future, testing/observation in process, can't hav it". >:D  Or give it to my brother...  ;)

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 05:42:35 pm »
  I use a similar method but I use a hole say to cut my patch out of the raw stock and a sanding drum that just fits inside the hole saw on the bow, will give you a perfect fit. I have been doing them with tightbond. Have only done a few but they work, I have a plum bow I am getting ready to do.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 12:32:28 am »
Oooo Plum!  I'd like to see a pic of this.  I serriously consider using a contrasting color just for the sake of it.  Wonder how maple would do in this situation?