Author Topic: Cherry stave - leave sapwood on or off?  (Read 988 times)

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Cherry stave - leave sapwood on or off?
« on: May 01, 2012, 01:31:53 pm »
Greetings,

My neighbor just cut down a massive Cherry tree, and I got a six foot section for bow making. The log split well into three sections, and I can probably make five staves from it. Right now, it's sitting under the porch off the ground seasoning. I'll split it into staves in a few months.

My question is this - should I leave the sapwood on the stave when it's time to make the bow? It has a rich, red heartwood and a relatively thin light colored sapwood. I'm not sure about hardwoods, though. I've read that you're not supposed to leave the sapwood as it can be weak and ruin the bow. I know with yew and similar woods, you can leave the sapwood and it makes the bow even better.

I'll provide some pics of the cross-section soon. It looks pretty darn good to me. Thanks!
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Cherry stave - leave sapwood on or off?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:21:38 pm »
Leave the wood intact and just peel bark and cambium off.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:49:16 pm »
Just peel and go !
Sounds like some nice stuff !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:09:23 pm »
Love cherry for bow wood. I have tried just under the outer bark silk backed, silk backed no bark at all and no backing at all, all worked well.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:52:39 am »
Get the bark off asap had some go bad leaving it on in stave form.and boath ways ive been told work.
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...