Author Topic: Sinew Backed Yew Recurve  (Read 35662 times)

Offline Gordon

Sinew Backed Yew Recurve
« on: April 28, 2012, 03:09:39 pm »
Here is the finished product from my “Winter Project” build-a-long:

]http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.0.html]

It took longer to build this bow than usual because I didn’t have much experience with sinew backing and documenting each step was rather time consuming.  That said, I’m satisfied with how both the bow and the build-a-long turned out.

This design was inspired from a bow that was made by Steve Alley.  That bow is shorter and wider and has a painted back, but is otherwise similar. Unfortunately the owner drew the bow well beyond its limit and broke it. His misfortune, however, was my good fortune as I was able to deconstruct the bow to examine in detail how it was constructed. I must say that in spite of being broken, the bow was masterfully crafted.

This is a sinew backed yew recurve. Nock to nock length is 57”and draw weight is presently 58# @ 27”. The draw weight increased 3 pounds from when I tillered the bow to completion. I expect the bow will gain a few more pounds yet before the sinew completely stabilizes given the high humidity during construction.  The limbs are 1 5/8” wide at the fades tapering evenly to ¾” at the tips.  The bow holds 3” of reflex at rest. Total mass is 20.5 ounces.

The wood is high-elevation yew harvested from the North Oregon Cascades.   The bow is backed with 2 ½ courses of sinew and covered with diamond back rattle snake skins. The skins were purchased through Pine Hollow Longbows. The tips are wrapped with sinew and painted black. The handle is tanned deer hide stained with mahogany leather dye and finished with a John Strunk style lace pattern and leather varnish. The limbs are finished with nine coats of Tru-Oil.

Here are some pictures. You can click on a picture to get a larger view. I hope you enjoy them.

And here is a picture of the 5 x 6 bull that I took with this bow in the NE mountains of Oregon.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:54:49 am by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Keenan

Re: Sinew Backed Yew Recurve
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:28:54 pm »
Excellent in every detail Gordon.  Well done my friend, Can't wait to see her in person, and slightly intimidated for our fun shoot off. That looks like it should be a great shooter.

Offline SA

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:39:50 pm »
that is a great looking bow, and might i ad looks masterfully crafted too.
Shawn Acker

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:45:21 pm »
Wow!!! :o Gordon, that is beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person. You, sir, are an artist.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:08:52 pm »

Another stunning work of art.. absolutely incredible..

Jon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:12:38 pm »
That turned out excellent Gordon! Very nice build allong and as always tiller and detail work look great!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:25:17 pm »
  Thats a bow you will never want to let go of, beautiful job in every detail. Steve

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 04:29:57 pm »
i wouldnt expect anything less than perfect from you gordon,and this ones no exception....they dont get any better than that  :)  thats drop dead gorgeous

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 05:46:16 pm »
Very pretty! Well done, Gordon.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dantolin

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 06:39:40 pm »
Chapeu!
A beautifull bow and a very usefull buid along, Gordon.

David

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 07:37:47 pm »
Another incredable bow Gordon.  That is what I'm wanting to build soon.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 07:50:38 pm »
Top of the line in every way.

Lane

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 08:16:18 pm »
AMAZING.  Just AMAZING.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 08:26:24 pm »
BOM Sir, another wonderful bow Gordon!!!

Thank you for sharing your build with us...
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 11:40:46 pm »
i am so glad that is come out so well for you...that is a bow that has alot of class...and of course your tiller,finish work is all ways great...nice job..john