Author Topic: Primitive and Traditional Archery in North Carolina  (Read 29196 times)

csbarker

Primitive and Traditional Archery in North Carolina
« on: August 28, 2007, 10:55:26 pm »
Earlier this month I went to New Bern, North Carolina to visit my brother and sister.  I took copies of Primitive Archer and showed them to my modern gun hunting brother.  He scoffed and said no one does that in North Carolina.  (I am a replicator of early American leather work and my fellow old time leather craftsman Jerry Fisher of Fayetteville is a traditional bowyer who has been making longbows in N.C. for many years.)   A large sporting goods store in New Bern informed me that NO ONE in North Carolina uses primitive or traditional archery tackle.  I really didn't care to argue with the store personnel.

Is there a North Carolina archer out there who can provide me with a list of primitive and traditional bowyers, fletchers, tackle dealers, clubs, matches, and so forth in the Old North State?  I would like to take such a list and send it to my brother and the all knowing sporting goods dealer. 

I live in Dallas, Texas and have actually found a few traditional archers here but as yet no primitive types.  I am a flintlock rifle shooter, a hunting pouch maker for thirty years, and a new subscriber to Primitive Archer.  I have joined the Texins Archery Club.  The club president shoots a Howard Hill longbow.  There's hope!

Chris

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Primitive and Traditional Archery in North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 12:46:29 am »
Chris, Google "Carolina Traditional Archers". I can't find there new web address.  There is quite a large group of traditional and primitive archers in North Carolina. I live in the western part of the state and personally know quite a few here and down east.    Pat  (Brevard, NC)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 05:27:15 pm »
That's news to me, seeing as how I can think offhand in a few seconds of at least fifteen members on this board from here in  NC, and there are bookoos of traditional bowhunting/archery clubs across the state. The guys who don't believe that anybody here shoots primitive/traditional should go to the CTA shoot in Hickory and see the crowd. Here in the western end of the state at least, most archery shops have a pretty good selection of traditional bows/gear.
PS-Texas is also full of primitive archers and flintknappers, many of them very well-known.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:42:26 pm »
  Look at Bernie's site,He lives in Bern,N.C. Heck,a few weeks back an ol' redneck from Fl., drove to North Carolina just to hang out with primitive shooters.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 04:59:23 pm »
eddie you drove there . im trying to get the wife to MOVE there. ! ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 07:20:27 pm »
I'm with you Jamie,I saw more cars from the county I live in florida there than I do here.They are all from Mich. and Canada here.
Lakeland, Florida

jamie

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 07:39:29 pm »
dont forget new yoork and ct. ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 08:58:10 pm »
Actually what we have around here are half backs. They moved to FLA 30 years ago and now they are moving half way back. :-\     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 12:03:26 am »
Too bad they didn't take all their relatives with them.Then all of us crackers wouldn't be looking for a new place to play.But ,,then again,maybe the Rio Grand will flood and Castro will finally give up the ghost.
Lakeland, Florida

rivercane

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 10:20:52 am »
I've in NC for two years and I haven't met any trad. archers in the Asheboro area.  I haven't found a club within an hour drive either. :-\

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 07:18:31 pm »
  Talk to Hillbilly or the Global Moderater Pat B.
Lakeland, Florida

batman

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 11:58:23 am »
My first post on here. I live in New Bern and know quite a few trad guys within 50 miles or so. Ive killed 3 deer so far this year with 3 diff trad bows. My son 17 has taken 2 as well with recurve. I plan on trying to get one with an old Hickory bow that I made several years ago that I got down out of the rafters the other day. My boy wants to try one with my John Shultz yew longbow. Not too many trad and primitive guys around , but the ones Ive met are top notch. You too Bernie. thanks for looking . Don

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 10:49:25 pm »
Wow I wish I could talk to you and let you know how many Trad and primitive shooters i know of in N.C. Like Hillbilly said there are a blue million.Any time you are in N.C. you let me know and I will shoot with ya. Heck we might even make a bow .  ;)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 10:51:39 pm »
thecta.org is the website for Carolina Traditional Archers club
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 06:48:01 pm »
Hey man i used to live in N.C befor i joined the Army and there are a bunch of people in N.C that are traditional archers and Abo's,, there is a shoot in Hickory N.C every year in the spring.
Mililani Hawaii