Author Topic: WENT BACK  (Read 4690 times)

Offline crooketarrow

WENT BACK
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:47:48 am »
  I went back to my blind I was in the other morning where I saw the 19 gobblers in the field. It's really a buck blind at a trackor road fence crossing but turkeys love to walk old roads. 3 long beards were gobbleing and a couple jakes tryed joining in lots of jake yelps. I had ESSE hanging off a limb. All my decoy set ups I hang my decoys from limbs the wind keeps the moving. A 3 or 4 year old very seldom will come to a decoy thats not moveing.
  I learned LONG AGO hanging your decoys from a tree on a string 10 times better than sticking them on a stick. How many turkey you see standing still.  I ended up seening 6 long beards and 8 jakes. I had 6 jakes come to fighting purrs and had ESSE swinging hard. Hell of a fight over her. Easy 10 yard shots I hav'nt shot a jake since mid 90's it was hard not to let a arrow fly.
  I hav'nt got a problem with any one shooting a jake. But to me it's like shooting a 1 1/2 old buck. Kill them now they won't grow up. For a lot of people it's easy to talk the talk then walk the walk. But all the farms I have are cover up in turkeys 1 reason is I don't shoot jakes. I let trappers take care of my coons,skunks,foxs I let people yote hunt if they want. And I KEEP THE NATURAL FOOD GOING.
  I manage 2 other farms other than the ones I have. 2 Weeks ago I or we planted almost 300 flowering dog wood seedings. I started 2 years ago. A #1 winter  food. We also planted 73 white oak seedings. I try to plant every 2 or 3 years depending on the seedlings. If you want turkeys you have to have water, food and nesting areas. The farm I live on had over 100 turkeys this summer in 5 polt flocks. Not counting 2 gobbler flocks and a jake flock that had 22 birds in.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline chief deer

Re: WENT BACK
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:08:29 am »
You wont have much luck in Ok or KS with decoys on a string. I doubt you would kill anything except time. If you hunt here you use three sticks one in the head and one in the tail and one in the middle. If you don't they end up in Nebreska Mike

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:37:40 am »
  I do'nt see why a moveing decoy would'nt work anywhere. I kill had 10 to 1 comitt to my string held compared to the regure way.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:06:53 pm »
Now I gotta haul twine around with me crooket! I have never tinkered with moving my decoys, but I will try it. Im a turkey hunting fool and I will try anything once..........if its legal here!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:13:18 am »
You wont have much luck in Ok or KS with decoys on a string. I doubt you would kill anything except time. If you hunt here you use three sticks one in the head and one in the tail and one in the middle. If you don't they end up in Nebreska Mike

I know that's right!  Where I live, the wind would have a decoy on a string looking like a whirly-gig!  Just before it took flight, that is.  Josh

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:02 pm »
  It do'nt seem to matter as long as it moves. I've called in gobblers that my decoy was not only going in circles. Like the hen had lost it. Laten in the year I've but them up high above the grass that it coved be seen.
   I had a couple gobblers that just stood and looked at the LONGGGGG LEGED HEN standing above the grass or weeds 3 ,5 yards away. I've had jakes try to breed my decoy where they tryed to jump up to them to do it.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:08:14 am »
Mine are on strings but in a different way i agree that movement in certain cases works well but i have hade it backfire also ...but my vote os make them move
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...