Author Topic: Bow # 4 Hickory with Osage accents  (Read 10039 times)

8up

Bow # 4 Hickory with Osage accents
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:42:37 am »
Ok guys here is my latest victim. This was a knotty stave with a few checks that was given to me to learn on because no one wanted it at the TN Classic.  It had a nasty hump it what is now the top limb. I used dry heat to put some reflex and had do twice to get the hump out.

Its 62" tip to tip, 1 3/8" at the fades tapered 7/16" at the nock. It pulls 46# at 24". If you notice in my full draw I have to short draw it a bit as my draw is 26" but the bow was made for my new son in law who is 5' and has a 24" draw. Even short drawing it, it shoots right where I'm looking. I would have got some pics of him drawing it but he is in the army and is in the field right now.

Pappy has a couple pics of it on the tillering board at fulldraw as well

Forgot to add a tip pic
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 01:21:13 am by 8up »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bow # 4 Hickory with Osage accents
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 05:44:45 am »
Very nice 8up.I think I have seen it before and you ant messed it up yet. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 07:08:22 am »
Nice bow! Hmmm, dead deer - I like ;D. So those nots won't hurt anything on a hic? Reason I ask is I have several staves drying that have some in them.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 10:06:08 am »
Looks pretty good 8up, yer lucky you get to go to Pappy's. I'm sure the new son-in-law will love it.
Keep em coming eeh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

8up

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 11:50:52 am »
Pappy, Thanks she is still standing straight with very little string follow. Maybe 1/2"

Cowboy, thanks, the nots don't go all the way through. But as Pappy has taught me, I fill every not with super glue and then sand it to blend it into the back.

Dana, thanks. You are right about me being lucky. Pappy is a great friend, and teacher. The knowledge he shares freely and is worth my weight in gold and I ain't no small dude.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 10:54:46 pm »
Nice bow 8up, Im sure your son inlaw will really like it. Also would like to say thank you for his service, guys like him dont hear thanks enough for what they do. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 11:01:00 pm »
Nice bow, Ron.  Hickory makes an excellent bow if its kept dry.  Those knots add nice character to the bow.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

8up

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:29:39 pm »
Thanks guys I will pass on the "Thank you's" I really like the knots as well thats why It didn't get some kind of snakes.

Guys I have thick skin so you won't hurt my feelings. Always feel free to critique my bows. Tell me if you would have did something different.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 11:37:31 pm »
You could have brought the bend out the limb more. If it starts taking set, it will be to the handle side of the mid limbs .If the bow is the weight you want and it shoots fine just put my thoughts away til the next bow. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

8up

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 12:03:41 am »
Pat thanks for the advice. The bend does look as though its in the first half of each limb  Might this be exagerated some by the length of the bow and only 24" of draw?

After he shoots it I might have to adjust the weight and if I do I will see if I can get the limb working more. I know this thing seems to shoot as hard as my heavier bow and puts the arrow where I'm looking.

Ron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 12:29:45 am »
As long as he can manage the M/C there should little to worry about. If you soften the outer limbs you will loose some of the draw weight.   Pat

8up

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 12:39:45 am »
As long as he can manage the M/C

M/C ??

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 12:57:09 am »
Moisture content.   Pat

8up

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 01:10:59 am »
M/C wont be a problem its got about 6 coats of tru oil on it

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 07:03:58 am »
Beleive me 8up 6 coats won't do it for hickory,I don't know that it matters how many you put
on it he still needs to take care to keep it in a dry place and out of the weather as much as is reasonable.Not sayin you can go out and hunt with it in bad weather just keep in mind to keep it as dry as you can.I put 10 or 12 coats on Hickory I plan to hunt with and then a coat of Turtle wax to boot.Fine looking bow.When are you giving it to him ?You coming down this weekend ? :) ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good