Author Topic: Sudbury Wampanoag Bow Question  (Read 3074 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Sudbury Wampanoag Bow Question
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:42:48 pm »
After looking at the supply of wood that I have and realizing the amount of decent boards that I have.  Has anyone ever tried make a Sudbury bow ( or Wampanoag bow ) out of a hickory board or any other board?  For that matter when making one out of a stave has anyone used any other wood besides hickory for making Sudbury bow?  Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Offline Josh B

Re: Sudbury Wampanoag Bow Question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:17:07 am »
I made one out of hard maple awhile back.  It was 60 ntn  60#@26".  It shot hard and fast.  Josh

Offline randman

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 05:45:21 pm »
That's a sweet looking bow there Gun Doc. Perfect Sudbury tiller. I also like the looks of yours Scott.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:15:36 am »
Legionar aka Cezar Perez has made some dandy Sudbury bows too..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline ryddragyn

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:09:56 am »
My dad made a 60# Sudbury replica out of mulberry about 15-20 years ago. Even after years of being shot, it has ZERO set, and shoots very fast.

As far as board vs. stave, I think the original bowmaker didn't chase a single growth ring on the back (this is according to my dad, who saw the original in the peabody museum up close), so there's probably a good chance a good quality board would still work, depending on the grain and execution.