Author Topic: Makin some arras  (Read 18747 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Makin some arras
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:45:50 pm »
Sorry, don't have them made yet. Am sitting here working down the nodes and straightening right now (some Phragmites reed shafts from Kowechobe Bob). It's most likely been posted before, but one question before I go too far - any need to seel reed, boo, cane arrow shafts? Thanks, will post some pic's when thier done.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Makin some arras
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:52:53 pm »
              Npoe Paul, no need ta seal arras ya mentioned. BTW those were tonkin I sent ya  ;) ;D ;D ;D....bob

Offline cowboy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:57:17 pm »
Thanks Bob! I'm headed out to put the dowls in the ends as we speak ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 12:07:49 am »
Whelp - straightened the shafts, cleaned up the nodes, got all the dowls in, made self knocks, broke three, and fletched one - first time to work with real sinew from real deer killed myself last year, hmm could get used to that :). This might turn into a arraalong so you guys that have been there can tell me what I'm doin wrong ;D.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 12:37:21 am »
Paul, Your cane arrows look great. One suggestion I have is to cut the nock end about 1" above a node. This will give better strength to your nocks. Yours will work fine, especially with sinew wrap.  Do you chew the sinew before applying it?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:28:28 am »
very nice.  i love that look. did you tie the nock end of the feathers, bend them over and then wrap the tip end?

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 11:21:52 am »
They do make nice arrows don't they, about all I shoot now days.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline cowboy

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 12:05:25 pm »
Hey Pat, and Arne - oops, too late :(. I did just the opposite and cut the business end about 1 1/2" from a node - figured the shock of impact with a target would be greater than the string on the nock?? Pat, I just had the sinew soaking in a bowl of warm water while I worked, I did use both hands and my teeth while fletching that one though :).
  Yes Marius, that's the way I started the feathers - I like that look too :). I think they'll be hunters Littel John, starting to look purty good as I go along.
  Inexperience: Good thing I only fletched one last night - got to looking at it this AM and the cock feather is about ninety degrees wrong ;D. Musta had my eyes crossed while laying it out....

Offline richpierce

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 12:38:08 pm »
I did not know that phragmaties (spell) was tough enough and had anough spine.  I am brand new and know nothing.  How long do you make inserts for point and nock?  Will ash etc work for this?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:31:54 pm »
Hey Rich - turns out these are Tonkin cane and not Phragmites. I personally don't know one cane from another. Got these in a trade from Florida, I'm in TX and thiers bamboo lookin stuff that grows around here - I will gather some of that next :).

DBernier

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 05:55:04 pm »
Cowboy, one of the things that makes cutting the tip 3 or 4 inch's from a node is this. You can up the weight of the arrow by inserting 3 inch lengths of 1/32 dia solder, if the shaft of cane is hollow. What I do for kicks is weight all the stuff on a digital scale and then add lengths of lead solder to even out the weight. I CA it in and then add a tip or just sharpen it.  For small game etc probably does not make a bit of difference except at long range. I do it cause its fun and you have to keep making brain cells at my age.   ???

Dick

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 07:08:21 pm »
  Paul, the other thing you need to check before you cut your nocks is to find the stiff side of your arrow.I know,you already cut them.Any way,Lean one end against a short table and the other end on the floor.With it at an angle,put pressure to the center of the shaft so it bends a little.Now roll it with the palm of your hand.When it get's to the stiff side it will flip or roll real fast.Find that spot and mark it.That is the side you need facing your bow rest or side.After you find this then cut your nocks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 07:48:18 pm »
looking real good now if only you could make decent points.  ;D

DBernier

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 09:35:42 pm »
Yea Jamie, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe in a few years, you know, practice, practice etc.  ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

Dick

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 01:26:23 am »
OK, now all the little pointers are comin out, exactly why I wish I  lived closer to some other primitive types ;D. Dick: I will employ your weight techniques next time (wish I could do it on these, but have already inserted the dowls). Eddie: your right, it's too late for your piece of advice too - but will use it next time :). Now if I only knew how to knap.................... ;D ;D.