Author Topic: Makin some arras  (Read 18732 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Makin some arras
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 02:12:57 am »
Got a question about this sinew: I've been using one piece of backstrap sinew so far, but the pieces are getting shorter. How do you guys deal with that - I'm wondering if you splice them together somehow or do several wraps and ties on each end of the fletching? Hope that made sense.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 10:42:27 am »
Cowboy, One reason I chew sinew before using it for a wrap is because the sinew and saliva together make a bit of glue. I usually use 2 or 3 pieces of sinew, one at a time to wrap around points and the nocks. Remove one piece from my mouth and wrap it then the next and so on as needed. At the end I spin the wrapped area between my fingers to smooth as I wrap them let them dry. After its dry I add glue to seal the wrap.  ??? ::) does that make since?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 03:44:51 pm »
OK Pat, after reading that a few times I'm pretty sure I understand. You don't make any kind of knots in the sinew - you just glue it right? I used some kind of knot (don't know what it's called) think it's the way they wrap eyes on fishing poles, make a loop start wrapping around toward the loop, at the end thread your sinew through the eye and pull it all back underneath the wrap - does that make sense? ;D, quite a bit of waste doin it that way.

Got em all fletched - not the prettiest job but think will work. Points on hold over the weekend - dove season :).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 04:01:25 pm »
        Paul....Another way is the same as u used BUt make a small loop outta art. sinew etc. As u near end of sinew place loop over sinew (loop side ta end of wrap side of sinew )and wrap over ta end. Pass end through loop and pull standin' ends of other side(where ya started) of loop. This will pull  sinew under the wraps and u can tighten it some. Voila ! -no waste. Just some food fer thought, arras look good mon ! ;D......bob

DBernier

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 04:07:51 pm »
Those are looking real good Paul. You will have so much fun shooting them. Good luck.

Dick

Offline cowboy

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 12:27:18 am »
Ahha, Bob. I just read your direction's for about the tenth time and am pretty sure I understand. Do you have any pic's to show that might show a little better than tell? I'm gonna try what you said tomorrow anyway to practice ;D.
  Thanks Dick: I had very little direction when I started these (and have learned a lot) on my own. Will deffinantly enjoy shooting them if they fly straight - I'm starting to think thiers alot more to arras than I thought ;D.

Offline possum

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 12:30:30 am »
was just enjoying the thread and started wonderin'... How well does that roll on that gravel? ??? :D

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 12:34:49 am »
Bob, that is the method I use with silk thread, artificial sinew and for serving wraps on my strings and elsewhere. It may be called a nail knot.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 01:17:07 am »
 Here ya go Paul took some. I used linen and fer loop I used a pumpkin colored nylon string so would show better. Understand si ?......bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 01:19:37 am »
..................................... Oops forgot one ! Thru loop and pull tag end understand Si ? ;D

Offline cowboy

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 01:27:00 am »
Yes Bob - now I understand, ha. Will still practice in the morning :) thanks for info!!

Hey possum: Now I get it (the chair) them things don't roll at all on the gravel, you have to pick them up and put em where you want em, but they sure are comfy for knappin and such ;).

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 01:27:17 am »
Bob, that looks like what I was teaching the cub scouts last night when I was making cordage and whipping ropes with them.  ;D  Yours is a little prettier than theirs.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 01:39:21 am »
                       Nope Pat it aint a nail knot ! Aint got no nail ! ;D Its a hmm a Pat an Bob and lots of other foks "fracas" knot, yeah thats it ! ;D ;D...bob
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 01:51:37 am by Kowechobe »

Offline cowboy

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007, 01:45:59 am »
Funny Bob! Boy ain't we all just havin a good time tonight. It's about 11:00 where I am, 10:00 where you are, and 8, or 9:00 where Justin is - Hell, we might as well be all sittin around the campfire ;D.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 01:53:25 am »
             Be my pleasure. Its 12 midnite here, time fer a "cool one" ;D ;D ;D