Author Topic: Makin some arras  (Read 18752 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Makin some arras
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 01:59:53 am »
Yep! pardon, got that backward. Throw another log on and pop a top ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Hartung

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 05:17:50 pm »
  Paul, the other thing you need to check before you cut your nocks is to find the stiff side of your arrow.I know,you already cut them.Any way,Lean one end against a short table and the other end on the floor.With it at an angle,put pressure to the center of the shaft so it bends a little.Now roll it with the palm of your hand.When it get's to the stiff side it will flip or roll real fast.Find that spot and mark it.That is the side you need facing your bow rest or side.After you find this then cut your nocks.

Very interesting point! Thanks!

Offline cowboy

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2007, 10:04:57 pm »
OK, got em done. Am very pleased with the outcome! Shot em in this morning - most of them fly straigt, couple of em come off the bow like a heat seaking missile - am amazed they even hit the bale of hay. Three in particular shot good enough that I'll take em huntin ;D. Those three in the bale were from 11 yards.

Couple of question's: Like to have pulled the heads off getting them back outa the bale of hay - what do you guys like to use for targets when using broadheads? Anything homemade that works well? hmm - guess that was the only question.

Did add a picture of the failures I had while trying to get these heads knapped out - just to kinda show that makin points ain't always succesful - if those primitive's had any curse words Id'a used em a coupla times >:(.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2007, 10:24:40 pm »
  Paul,Those big pieces of foam rubber in couch cushions work okay.Or bags full of rags or  stuffed with those plastic bags from the grocery store.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 11:26:41 pm »
Very nice arrows. I can see I have a long way to go with my knapping. Outstanding work
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DanaM

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2007, 07:16:20 am »
Paul I used a cardboard box with some soft foam stuffed in it, nice arra's good luck huntin.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DBernier

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2007, 08:46:29 am »
Paul, same as Dana etc. My box is a 3 ft cube stuffed with rags and foam etc. The top is open so I can orient the arrowhead back out the box hole. Works good. Have one in my cellar too.

Dick

jamie

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2007, 09:12:32 am »
damn nice. nothing better than a couch cushion for stone points. stops the arrow from going through and you can pull the arra through instead of out, so the heads wont loosen up or pull off. plus it doesnt dull the point. you can also cover it with a burlap deer target for a more visual target.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2007, 11:05:03 am »
Thanks guys - I'm off to find some foam rubber :).

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2007, 11:19:31 pm »
Has anyone ever made arrows from hardwood dowel rods?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2007, 11:31:28 pm »
Yes Hunter, seems like most everyone on here has. Hilbilly has mentioned Ramen (I think it was Ramen) and also Poplar dowls you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's. Haven't tried them myself but sounds like they work great.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 10:00:45 pm »
Yes i amde some i got at home depot i used turkey feathers for fletchings and caribou horn i made into a broadhead for the cutter (for small game) wouldnt shoot an arrow i dont trust on deer or elk here
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2007, 10:22:36 pm »
  Hunter,they work,just make sure the grain doesn't run off the side.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2007, 10:10:59 am »
i actually nevr thought about that thanks mullet
Modern Day Tramp