Author Topic: Picking up an old hobby ... ('old' Osage staves ?)  (Read 5999 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Picking up an old hobby ... ('old' Osage staves ?)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 07:26:22 am »
Those are premium staves.
Moisture content depends on a) the relative humidity and b) the temperature where they have been stored.
Just because they are old does NOT mean they are dry enough to make a bow. I would suggest they are going to be very close to ideal but may well be a little too high in moisture content if they have been stored in sheds. I would just start making a bow and get it to a stage where it is bending a little at floor tiller then store them inside for a week or so to lose any excess moisture.
Good luck.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:17:49 am »
Bert
  My name is Dean Marlow and I have cut and shipped a-lot of Osage in the past. Your name doesn't ring a bell right off hand. The Stick and Strings does sound familiar. May have received the staves from me and sent them to you. Any way those are premium staves in my book. Look to straight to be Osage. Start in on one and see what happens. Dean

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 11:18:59 pm »
Hah! I remember Bert from the old days. Perhaps the staves are actually from Russell Barton? He called his outfit Sticks and Stones, I think.
 Welcome Back Bert! Now we just need to track down River Rat, Dano and a couple of  others.... Seattle Brian....Markshoreline...