Author Topic: Picking up an old hobby ... ('old' Osage staves ?)  (Read 6034 times)

Offline Bert

Picking up an old hobby ... ('old' Osage staves ?)
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:33:11 pm »
Hello fella's !

I'm very new on these forums, but then again i'm not. Over 10 years ago I was on here asking questions and absorbing knowledge under the name of FreshBowyer.(account died tough, otherwise i'd login with that)
Haven't practiced making selfbows for ages now, and wanted to pick it up again. (got bit by the microbe once again after making some survival/kid bows for my oldest son that turned 5 recently)

Back in the days I ordered 2 really good looking Osage staves from a kind man on here (can't rememenber his name or nickname tough) as Osage is hardly available in Europe (Belgium) where I live. (Anybody remember sending 2 Osage staves up to Belgium 10 years ago ?  ;) )
But i never got around making bows out of them .. They have moved with me over the years, from 1 shed to another, in there cardboard packaging all waxed-up.
And now I wonder, will these still be able to make me a decent bow ? (moisture level and such)

I'd like to quote Ron Hardcastle from page 20 in the Bowyers Bible vol. 1 about "Cutting and seasoning wood"
I once made a bow from a stave wich was cut in 1939, and since the bow had slept as a stave for fifty years, I named it "Sleeping Beauty". The friend to whom I gave the bow successfully used it on a hunt in Michigan in four degree weather, and was so moved by the bows performance he wrote a poem about it and inscribed it on the lower limb.
Could these 2 staves produce 1 (or 2) "Sleeping beauties" ?

I realise its hard to judge this without any pictures of these staves, but at the moment its too dark out to take any. (i'll provide some pictures tomorrow)
I'd be thankfull for any insight/suggestions or heeds of warning you guys might have on these staves after viewing the pictures !

Thanks for reading,

Regards
Bert

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Picking up an old hobby ... ('old' Osage staves ?)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:37:41 pm »
Welcome back, Bert. Sorry I can't help you with your questions as I am a relative newcomer to making selfbows. I just wanted to welcome you back to the addiction.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:43:03 pm »
Bert, the older the better when it comes to osage.  I think you'll be fine.  I have a very old osage corner post I only bring out and make a bow from every now and then.  I've moved it as well.  I'm anxious to see what you make with it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bert

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:00:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies lesken2011 and George !

I've have the Osage for 10 years now, but have no clue how 'old' the wood was before it got send to me.
Could been seasoning for a few years more .. then again it might not. (Wonder if I could track down the person who I bought it from)
As said, i'll post pictures tomorrow.

It certainly never crossed my mind to trow'm out as I was tought (10 years ago) that Osage was a top-wood for bows and I have no knowledge of them growing on the European mainland !

Bert

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 08:29:49 pm »
I just made a bow from 1994 bow wood. The actual back of the bow is 1988-1989 wood. MMMMMMMMMMM Im lovin' it.........
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:46:59 am »
Hi, Bert! Welcome back. Yes, old osage will work. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bert

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 02:31:11 pm »
Hey PEARL DRUMS, I hope the be able to turn these into some fine bows too !  ;)
Jawge ! You I remember from the ol'e days, no ? How are ya ?

Well, as promised, some pictures !
The ol'e box I keep :) has postage infoand such on it. Looks like I paid little under 60$ to have these shipped.
Senders Adress says Sticks & Stones  from Marlow O/C can this be ? Signed with a name I can't make out..

Then for the staves themself :

The ends of the staves feel as if they had parafin applied to them to retain moisture I guess.
I'm dying to cut a small slice off the top with a bandsaw to see the growth rings better, but wouldn't that put me in a hard spot (having to make up my mind on design before the wood dries to much) ?

Offline Postman

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 02:41:44 pm »
you can scrape the sides near the tips to make out the rings.  Great looking staves - good luck!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06:06 pm »
I usually cut about an eighth inch off one end to see what the rings are like.  The other thing I've done is push the stave end against the sanding disk on my stationary belt sander.  It likes to burn the wood though.   Don't make any cuts on the back of the staves.  Unless you stored the wood in a very wet environment, you don't need to worry about it drying too much when you remove the sealer on the ends.  However, I always seal bow backs with shellac when I get the sapwood removed and the heartwood growth ring chased.  Then I don't have to worry about cracks.

Good luck, seasoned osage is wonderful to work...though hard as all get out.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 05:00:41 pm »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 05:32:51 pm »
Bert, I do remember! The old days were good. These days too. There are some pretty skilled new bowyers here. It is good to have another old timer here too. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bert

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 06:17:14 pm »
heya coaster500 !
Happy to see you so enthusiastic ! i'm starting to believe these are some fairly decent staves myself :)

There is one stave a bit 'darker' then the other, and I took a damp rag to clean up the tips of that one to see the rings a bit better without cutting into it:
tip A )

tip B ) -wich is a bit wider at this point-

From what I remember about looking for bow wood is that this stave (still need to check the other one) has a pretty decent earlywood vs latewood ratio !
I'll see if i can get me a shot at the rings of the secondairy stave, but the wax-buildup is somewhat thicker on that one..

Thanks Jawge, for making me feel welcome on this forum, that is must say, has changes a hell'alot since my last stays on here !
Are there still many other old timers around I could/should know from back then ?

Bert

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 06:52:01 pm »
glad yr back at it bert-
yr a lucky dog, those are both some mighty fine looking osage staves
have at em and have fun!

and dont forget to keep us updated with photos as you work em
wild women don't get the blues

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 10:24:44 pm »
Looks like a couple of sweet shooters in those old staves :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 05:43:53 am »
Bert, I sent you those staves, and I hate to say it, but I need those back....just kidding ;D!  It sounds like you got those from Dean Marlow.  I have a couple of very nice staves from Dean as well.  He is still on here.  I also had some older osage billets, ~15 years, that just made a sweet shooting bow.  It is my first osage bow, so I don't have much to compare to, but like Ron Hardcastle's friend, I feel inspired to inscribe it with a poem.  Welcome back, and good luck with that wood. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso