Author Topic: Twin Oaks Spirit Station  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Josh B

Twin Oaks Spirit Station
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:47:24 pm »
While at the classic, I had the distinct privilege of being asked to participate in the creation of modern day cave paintings at the Spirit Station.  For those of you who don't know what the Spirit Station is, it is a natural alcove in the rock hill side overlooking Pappy's creek that has been put aside for special spiritual purposes.  Whether it be for private meditation, special rituals or whatever else such a place is necessary for.  If I'm not mistaken, Will H set up most of it and did a fine job of it.  My first visit to it stirred my inner caveman to the point of feeling compelled to make a tobacco offering.  John (Iowabow) was asked to do some Paleolithic style artwork to the rock face and was kind enough to let a few of us assist him in the project.  All natural materials were used in the work.  These materials included charcoal, red ochre, chalk rock, and a piece of cane.   John did the artwork and it was a pleasure to watch him work.  However, when John is in the zone, it is a challenge for his team of gophers to keep up with providing the materials.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:01:44 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Twin Oaks Spirit Station
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:57:10 pm »
That is just so cool on so many levels...thanks for sharing!  (and it looks GREAT!)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:58:28 pm »
Here are some of the gophers hard at work.  Bowtarist is shown starting the fire to produce the charcoal.  Old Hippy and a young man who I only know as 'Chocolate Pudding' are shown making the ochre. I more or less helped out where I could.  Thanks for including me John.  I really enjoyed the experience.  Josh

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 11:35:13 pm »
Nice work !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:57:02 am »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:39:36 am »
Thanks gun doc for taking and posting the pictures. It was truly a group effort and could not have been done without all of you.  We were trying to complete the painting before the sunset but finished it with fire light which as really cool.  Thanks for the help guys.   In my picture starting on the left is a buffalo and above it is a hand print. To the left is a deer hunting event where an archer pulls a bow center a bull and on the right is hippies hand print.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:49:09 am »
Well that's cool! Wonder how long those paintings will last? hmm..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 11:21:21 am »
They were talking about putting a protective coat on them. Without being located in a cave they should not last very long. Makes one wonder how many painting were done on walls that were only intended for one ceremony

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 02:37:58 pm »
I got the pleasure of seeing it first hand, Awesome!
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:35 pm »
It is!   
 Thank you John :)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 11:35:20 pm »
It is!   
 Thank you John :)
Thank you and it was an honor to be ask to do it for twin oaks.  I would do it again anytime. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 12:10:22 am »
Very cool drawing, John. I knew you were an artist from your first scrape of yellow wood.  ;)          It was very nice to meet you and your son at the Classic.  8)  You guys built a bow to be proud of. It will suite you well and your son will grow into it.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 12:11:51 am »
Here;s the pics I took.  Fella's, I have to say that it was one of the coolest projects I've had the honor of being a part of.  Thanks;s Bybee for the invite, and Josh thanks for the post.  I didn't take near enough pics, but technology was far from my mind.  OB,  ;), dp

edit..materials also included a big ol rib bone raked on the wall for color  .......
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:19:52 am by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 12:33:04 am »
Some how I missed the spirit station  :'(  I guess I kind of lived in the bow shop.  I'll make sure to check it out next year.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 02:12:07 am »
Clint, I missed it too. I guess we'll just have to wait.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC