Author Topic: out of center  (Read 5540 times)

Offline possum

out of center
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:15:17 pm »
I got an osage stave from Billy.  It has a handle area that is not in line with the string.  Or rather where the string will be.  I would post a pic but my wife has the camera with her at work.  The string will lie about 3/4" from the center line of the handle and 1/8" from the side of the handle.  That sounds perfect for 1/4" arrows being centershot.  This bow is being built for my 10 year old.  The problem is, the whole handle area curves out like a big parentheses 10" long.  The limbs are lined up really well but the handle moves off to one side.  I'm afraid it will want to torque and twist when it is drawn or even when trying to brace it.  Should I just heat it up and move it over or am I just paranoid in the twisting thinking? :-\

Thanks,
possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: out of center
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:22:16 pm »
The string does not have to  be centered on the handle. Can you post a pic or 2? jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:36:19 pm »
The 4th one from the left is that way,it worked out just fine.Look how the handle hooks back toward the opposite side.it's a good shooter and no torque that I can tell. :)Pictures would help.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline possum

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 12:42:04 pm »
I'll get the pics when my wife gets home.  She has the camera in her car.  She works at UNC hospital and I'n not about to go there to look for her car.  Besides, Chapel Hill is a horrible place to go.  Full of tree huggin', animal lovin politically demented kind of folks.  If any of you live there... "Get out quick!!!"
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:34:48 pm »
              Like Pappy an Jawge said, dont have ta be ! ;D....bob

Offline possum

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:15:36 pm »
yeah, I know it doesn't have to be.  I just know there's a point that is too much.  I'm just wonderin if this piece of wood has found that point.  I'll get pics tonight... I hope.

possum

mebane NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:14:34 pm »
Straighten it. You'd be surprised what you can do with a heat gun and a few clamps. This piece was crooked to the side and twisted, but after a couple sessions with the heat gun, viola! String runs right down the middle.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline possum

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:16:27 pm »
here's the pic I promised...

It wouldn't seem so wierd if the whole bow had the arc.  But the limbs are straight and the string tracks down the center.  the 10" of handle area just arcs out there. ???  The stave is 55" right now.  Looking for a weight that a 10 yo can pull back to his draw.  not sure what that is yet.

possum

mebane NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 11:40:37 pm »
Man! Thats perfect. ;) You get center shot and limbs that will pull straight. If seems to challenging for ya'll now, put it aside til later and start another.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline possum

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 08:34:09 am »
But if I tiller it normally will it torque?  I can tiller it if there's nothing abnormal I need to worry about.

possum

mebane NC

Offline gpw

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 09:02:34 am »
Offset bows have been built before, there was an article years ago in PA about offset bows and about how well they worked...We tried it ... a little offset goes a long way ...too much caused problems ..

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:20:20 am »
Hard to tell how the string tracks until you string the stave. I remember a yew flatbow I was making a few years ago. Limbs lined up. Took my time. Wood removal even. Strung the bow and it was a leaner. String off to the side. Guess the stave had its own ideas about how to bend.  I removed wood from the other side. String lined up down center. There's more. On bows like that I leave  the nocks a good inch wide for  starters and I leave the handle full length. All this until the first stringing. Nocks can be shaped better later. I can cut the nocks further on the side where the string is  off the handle or barely on to  nudge the string closer to center. With the handle full width I can also shape the handle to maximize string tracking. So I would not remove much wood from the side where the string is barely on the handle. Hope this helps. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 10:21:12 am »
possum I woyld go ahead and tiller,you can always bend it later if you need to.The only
problem I have had with the offset is sometimes you get a little more string slap on the
arm. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DBernier

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 11:46:25 am »
Hey Possum, that stave looks great with the string offset like that. BTW where are you in Mebane? I am on 49N about 1.3 miles north of the intersection of 119 and 49. I could not remember who emailed me before I went in for some surgery. Give me a call. 1 336 562 3700

Dick