Author Topic: quickie small game arrows  (Read 7370 times)

Offline sonny

quickie small game arrows
« on: August 31, 2007, 03:12:56 pm »
ok, so squirrel season starts tomorrow (really, it does!!) and you need to throw together some quick, throw-away arrows...arrows that you don't have a great deal of time or money invested in, cause you know you'll lose a few  ;)
I'm thinkin' self-nocked 5/16" ramin dowels, nut screwed (maybe epoxied too) on the business end and two fletch.
any suggestions on anything any quicker and/ or more economical than that ??

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: quickie small game arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:27:35 pm »
            Depends on what ya got. Boo one fletch arras are very quick ta make . Fire hardened foreshafts. Thats it done. Like I said depends on what ya got yer idea is a good one 2 but I got cane so its easier fer me...bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:21:17 pm »
What you have with a bright colored spiral flu flu. A drop of super glue on the nut instead of epoxy is quicker.
Or, like bob said...cane arrow. I wouldn't bother with footing. Just taper the forward end of the cane and thread the nut on. You may want to fill the hole in the cane with an appropriate size dowel first but it is not necessary.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 07:50:45 pm »
i killed 2 squirrels and a woodchuck this year with the same tonkin arrow that bob gave me. just cut the tip at an angle left it 36" long and didnt fletch it. 10 yards or closer

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 09:48:16 pm »
i know i put a lot more effort into a self nock than a plastic nocked arrow.  i would  rather eat the few cents than my time and thread to do a self knock.  the thread may cost half of the platic nock i dunno.  i just know a plastic nock goes on in about 2 seconds, and my self nocks take at least 2-5 minutes each.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 10:08:53 pm »
  uhhh,,You don't have 2 to 5 minutes to spare? >:( Busy life.  :'( ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 10:34:21 am »
Yeah, and the self nock doesn't fly into twenty pieces every time you hit a rock or tree.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 11:01:42 am »
I've got some not so great red osier shafts I'm going to try. Self nock not wrapped. sharpened point with a nut, no fletching
I'm hoping they will be good enuf out to 10 yds or so. Small game opens on the 15th here in Michigan.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 12:30:38 pm »
Like Pat said, spiral wrapped fluflu, works fine, and is very quick to make.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 09:04:12 pm »
Split some shafts outta a pine or such log, and use a thin leaf or bark Seminole-style fletch. Just wrap the end with some trhead and fire-harden some bullet points on the end. Shafts could take a work, but they can also be left really, really ugly ;D.