Author Topic: Point of The Month - Sticky  (Read 629192 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Point of The Month - Sticky
« Reply #540 on: August 10, 2013, 08:37:34 pm »
Nice fat flute channel bob.  ;)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #541 on: August 12, 2013, 04:04:49 pm »
 2nd attempt, got a rough flute on each side but still pretty rough example of a Folsom,  When you start at the bottom of the barrel there is only one way out , look up I can only get better ;D  Bob
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:14:56 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #542 on: August 12, 2013, 04:20:44 pm »
 Bob you did it!
 If that was to come out of the ground there no doubt it would be called a folsom.
Good job bro!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #543 on: August 12, 2013, 04:38:11 pm »
Thanks Jesse coming from you means an awful lot to me, ya if i found that in a cornfield I would probably crap myself , but you know how the perfectionist  stuff works in us, I can do better. thanks for all your help with this one I needed it. One more question if you don't mind, I had a short flute an tryed to re flute an got a reverse flute run from point to end of short flute. I thought that was odd and lucky . Bob

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #544 on: August 13, 2013, 12:20:48 am »
Thanks Jesse coming from you means an awful lot to me, ya if i found that in a cornfield I would probably crap myself , but you know how the perfectionist  stuff works in us, I can do better. thanks for all your help with this one I needed it. One more question if you don't mind, I had a short flute an tryed to re flute an got a reverse flute run from point to end of short flute. I thought that was odd and lucky . Bob
Want to avid those reverse flutes.. they will usually roll off to one side and take the edge off. I will abrade the tip of the point well before fluting and keep it sorta wide to avid those random tip to base flutes  ;)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #545 on: August 13, 2013, 02:12:09 am »
Great job Bob!  Like anything takes a little practice!  We can make some fluted points at Letchworth if u want?  Its all n the nipple and the swing!  Looks like your well on your way already! 

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #546 on: August 14, 2013, 04:54:23 pm »
Looks like i have some catching up to do great job guys for this months point
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #547 on: August 28, 2013, 06:03:31 pm »
I thought I would try at least once more before end of month. Here is another attempt at a Folsom. First flute ran off end in a kinda overshot, second flute ran to tip but not to centered ran 2 more pressure flakes to try an help second flute. Alot of fun but extremly difficult . May try an get a few more attempts before end of month or run out of rocks :(

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #548 on: September 01, 2013, 12:53:46 am »
Hard to follow some of those beautiful Folsoms, but since it's still August and I did knock out a basic triangle this afternoon while my new friend Jack was working in his bow...this is the best I could do for the novice point.  It was a little shocking I got anything at all given the way I was breaking preforms with abandon.  It was originally better, though it has a step on each side.  But, then I botched it when I notched it, stalling a notch right away and then knocked a big chunk off the edge using the punch. Made the other notch match and called it good.  It is a good thing the bow making went much better.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #549 on: September 01, 2013, 11:34:37 am »
George, good looking point,I like some of the big flake scars. Bob

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #550 on: September 06, 2013, 04:56:41 pm »
Sept POTM?
I'd like to nominate "blade core" and bolen bevel.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #551 on: September 07, 2013, 09:10:15 am »
Jesse, sounds good to me. ;D

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #552 on: September 07, 2013, 03:26:43 pm »
i know i havn't really posted on this thread much but was wondering if i could suggest a point for september? heres a pic. it's fairly simple and was acctually one of my first points.

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #553 on: September 07, 2013, 05:32:11 pm »
Sounds good to me, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #554 on: September 07, 2013, 10:56:22 pm »
I guess I'll go first, Not real sure which ones were decided upon so I got some pics of all 3. Broke 2 preforms today by trying to get to cute with the thiness. My blade core is out of a hornstone cobble and the Bolens bevel attempt is also from some hornstone. I made this stemmed point a couple of weeks ago so sorry if your seeing it again, It was made from some raw flint river. Hope this is what you had in mind  for a stemmed point Bowslayer. Thanks for lookin,  Bob