Author Topic: Point of The Month - Sticky  (Read 621032 times)

Stringman

Re: Point of The Month - Sticky
« Reply #1395 on: April 07, 2017, 08:26:01 am »
Sorry guys, forgot to put something up. I'm gonna name the dalton. It has a number of size variations as well as some other minor design variances. Overall it is a lancelote type blade with concave base and heavily ground hafting area (serrations optional.)

I will try to get another made soon.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #1396 on: April 07, 2017, 08:41:09 am »
Great!  Dalton it is.
1’—>1’

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1397 on: April 07, 2017, 12:23:19 pm »
Thanks Scott, when I get a chance I'll give it a whirl
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Flakescarred4life

« Reply #1398 on: April 07, 2017, 09:04:07 pm »
Are we skipping this month? If I knew more types of points I suggest one. The only other one I know of hand is the meadowood, having found one in my youth. I think it was even further typed as a raccoon creek style of meadowood.

I like the look of those wicked looking slim triangle points from the southwest. They almost have a sharktooth looking thing going on. I can't remember the name at the moment and don't have enough time right now to go googling.
I think you may be thinking of a cahokia. That was the first actual point style i made.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #1399 on: April 07, 2017, 09:12:59 pm »
Sorry for the misunderstanding Dakota.
Zuma
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:04:24 am by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1400 on: April 08, 2017, 12:06:32 am »
No problem Zuma. Sometimes the written word falls short and can be easily misinterpreted.

I wasn't trying to get on anyones case or otherwise seem impatient. With my skill level it may take me a full month to get a good one depending on the style.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 02:38:50 pm by Dakota Kid »
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Zuma

« Reply #1401 on: April 08, 2017, 06:15:47 am »

. With my skill level it may take me a full month to get a good one depending on the style.  :laugh:

You are tops with me Dakota
This is what I was getting at. We should have less difficult points for our newer knappers :KN
Just one man's opinion. Perhaps two points could be done each month. One for the skilled and one for
folks that want to get their feet wet.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1402 on: April 08, 2017, 07:30:39 am »
I kinda like this one Zuma, I like the challenge and same as Dakota I don't have any pictures or books so I don't know the names but I like trying to make them. I'd be a lot more scared of those deep
Notch ones but I'm ready to try em. If someone wants to put a second point up though I think that's great, I'm just kinda glad someone put up one.
Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #1403 on: April 08, 2017, 07:34:46 am »
Welcome back Don :o your ears must of been burning , talked to Eric yesterday and was asking where ya been. Did it get to  (R or to much  (-S.  or did the fish quit biting ;D  I'm just glad that someone picked one also, remember it is not a popularity contest, just do our best and post a pic if ya like. Bob

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1404 on: April 08, 2017, 03:25:43 pm »
We just did an easier style point last month, so it seems fair. I don't mind a challenge. Every failure is one step closer to a success. After all you never know if you can unless you make an attempt.

I don't think we need two styles of points each month, but a beginners version of the more difficult ones might be nice. Usually when dealing with artifacts that's the kind of thing you see anyway. Often I see points referred to as a crude version of a ______.  The crude version has less defined notches and is thicker and less symmetrical, that sort of thing.

Once I get the name of the point for the month, I google it until I find an example that looks like something I can handle. That is if the one posted here looks overwhelming.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Stringman

« Reply #1405 on: April 08, 2017, 05:24:05 pm »
Sounds like you got the right attitude DK.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #1406 on: April 09, 2017, 09:20:45 pm »
Welcome back Don :o your ears must of been burning , talked to Eric yesterday and was asking where ya been. Did it get to  (R or to much  (-S.  or did the fish quit biting ;D  I'm just glad that someone picked one also, remember it is not a popularity contest, just do our best and post a pic if ya like. Bob
Lol Yeah got back in time for a brief frost. To hot and buggy down there now.
Glad to hear everyone is cool with a challange. Hoping to see some candy.
Zuma

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1407 on: April 09, 2017, 09:33:55 pm »
Me to Zuma, it'll be interesting to see what everyone comes up with
Bjrogg

Offline Parnell

« Reply #1408 on: April 10, 2017, 10:42:05 am »
Well...scratch my first attempt!  Next...
1’—>1’

Offline Zuma

« Reply #1409 on: April 10, 2017, 03:33:27 pm »
Ouch, Parnell :'(
My serrations need help.
Zuma