Author Topic: What to do with deer?  (Read 12175 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: What to do with deer?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 05:25:35 pm »
Justin, the cold makes ya hunt harder so you can get in where its warm.
Dana, if you just want to hunt harder, you need to come out and hunt the mountains with me or Little John.  When you hike 1 mile and climb 4500 feet you will be working and sweating.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 08:56:54 pm »
  Dana,I don't think Justin has to worry about stinging bugs.Bob and I sure do!There is no cool place to hang meat here unless you have a walk in cooler.It will be in the 80's at night.If it is hot I'll have a full bug suit on and if I'm sitting I carry two Therma Cells.Don't worry about the snakes,monitor lizards,kimodo dragons,and gators,thats food ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

brokennock

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 02:34:05 am »
Thanks everyone, I've gotten some good ideas. I'm used to people here during gun season hangin deer to "bleed out" and age for a week, and I always got the notion it had to be whole. I agree with not wantin to get it wet. As for processing, I'd rather do it myself but have lacked the hands on knowledge and place to do so.  Seems we all have a different sense off "cool" and "hot". To me there is 2 kinds of each involved here. Temp. for the hunter and temp. for safe meat aging and processing. I get sick of our summer bugs pretty quick but hate to be cold. My ideal hunting temp. is right around the temp. safe meat handling. Meat, I feel should be kept at 40 degrees and lower but above freezing, Me should be kept 37 to 50+ degrees, while hunting. :)
  I not only need for the meat to be safe. It needs to be paletable for "non-game-eaters" as much as possable.