Author Topic: NOT TOTALLY BURNED OUT YET  (Read 2412 times)

Offline crooketarrow

NOT TOTALLY BURNED OUT YET
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:45:20 am »
  I've gobbler hunted 15 days in a row. A week to go yesterday was the first morning I did'nt here or see a gobbler. I won't tell you how many gobblers I've seen but I will say I hunt farm gooblers 98% of the time. And I see a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTT. I saw 50 gobblers last sring while hunting I seen more this spring.
  I'VE HAD 10 LONG BEARDS FROM 25 TO 40 YARDS. The only shots I had so far was first time was I had 6 jakes let the air out of my jake decoy. LITERLY me was a blow up. They really gave him a bea t down. It was the 5 beating he's took throught the years. I think he's done. Unless I can tire patch him.
    I had easy shots at 7 or 8 yards and last week I had 3 jakes cicleing my hen decoy ESSIE HANGING FROM A TREE LIMB. They had her going in circles again 9 or 10 yards. I even drew on one. I have'nt shot a jake in 15 yards but it's crossing my mine.
 I've also thought about my 3 1/2 the other day. I haven't taken a gun out of my gun vult since 05. But the other day I was going through a turkey pack and found a couple boxs of FED 6's  3 1/2's. My 3 1/2 just loves these. Made me give it some thought. I've killed 31 gobblers with a shot gun the best part been with this 835 3 1/2.
  But thats just talk I had far tougher years. That always carryed my self bow. I made a  HICKORY 58"54#@26 have to dip my upper nock in turkey blood.
  Something my old friend CROOKETARROW did with every turkey and deer he killed. Only the upper nock thats point towand the sun.
  I have been in on 2 gobbler kills. My friend that owns a farm I use manage THE FIRST COUPLE YEARS HE HAD IT. He still lets me gobbler hunt it when I want to. I guess he feels sorry for me uselly a self bow and all. CAME TO ME AND SAID I'VE SEE 27 GOBBLERS THE LAST 2 WEEKS OUT IN THE FIELDS.
    So we went set up a gobbler 100 yards off a field on a gobbler gobbleing good off the roost. He was on a tote road leading to the field. He hit the ground I CLUCKED AND PURRED. He gobbled all the way to us. He shot him around 22 yards. He was a 3 year old 10 1/2, 1 1/8 spurrs.
  The next day I took his son. I'd called his sons first gobbler up 2 years ago. Did'nt here a bird untill 10:00. We circled 300 yards to get to a tote road he was going down. We set up I lightly yelped he wasn't along another bird answered with him at 100 yards. I call the sesond time. Lots of times gobblers just shock gobble at those first calls. But he answers your calls the second time. He's answering you.
  He's only 16 and he wanted to call again after 10 mins. One of the things most people want to do. Here them self call and here gobblers gobble. If it because of there calls most lose it and just keep calling.  You have to make him breal strut and walk to you. You keep calling he keeps struting.  I had to make him take out his call and put it away. I told him they answered us they know where we are there comeing our way. Only one can screw this up is you by calling. 5 Mins. later we saw not 2 but 3 longbeards come up the tote road 75 yards.
  He could'nt weight and shot the first one. He said he was scares he'd get away. The other 2 were nicer birds his was a 2 year old  LITTLE OVER INCH BEARD AND 3/4" SPURRS.
  One thing bow hunting dose is make you weight.
  MY GRANDDAD USE TO DRIVE ME CRAZY LETING THE GOBBLER GET TO 20 ,25 YARDS AND HE HAD A SHOT GUN. HE'D SAY CALLING THE GOBBLERS UP WHY YOUR HERE IS'NT IT.
  HE DID JUST THAT. I'd killed 15 yards ago.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: NOT TOTALLY BURNED OUT YET
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:45:15 pm »
I cant say Im not totally burned out.......................but I can tell you Im far from tired of chasing birds around. Im hitting it in the morning to try again. I think you and I may be like minded turkey freaks. I have been after a 3 yr old since day one. Shotgun range twice now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.