Author Topic: teaching some boy scouts  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Cherokee B.

teaching some boy scouts
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:25 pm »
Hey every one! As the heading said, I will be teaching some cub scouts (first graders) on traditional native american archery ;D I have some questions, because I have never done somthing like this (I'm 13) on how to present this. I will have between an hour and a half to an hour. I was thinking of showing the different steps that it takes to make a bow ie. (stave, floor tiller, tiller, finish) but do not know if they will understand what the different steps have to do with the final product and shooting it. I now first graders are smart, but don't know if I can teach it all in an hour. I will be doing some stuff about arrows to. Any advice is welcome.  :laugh:
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men... Colossians 3:23
Don't tread on me!

Offline bubby

Re: teaching some boy scouts
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 04:01:11 pm »
i wouldn't go into deep detail, bring a ruff stave a fuffed out bow and a finished bow if you can, keep it light and interesting, explain how they would use a hawk to ruff it into shape and grease it and hang it in the tepee to season, i've taught martial arts to kids that age, you need to keep them into it, also do a shooting demo maybe, good luck, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Cherokee B.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:40:29 pm »
Would love to do a shooting demo, but ive only got 1 hour >:( Oh well. I also have had an idea, that mabey I should wear period clothing. I am a historical reenactor (1700 shawnee/cherokee), but did not know if that would be going over the top? I dont want these kids to get the wrong impression on archery. Dude that guys an idiot! He dosent even have real clothes :embarassed: Ha Ha They might, on the other hand think wow!! that guy knows what he is talking about. Mabey he should come back.                  :-\            Oh well, Drew
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men... Colossians 3:23
Don't tread on me!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:40:10 pm »
Drew going in period attire should be a good entrance for you to talk about archery. Trying to make a bow in 1 1/2 hour is almost impossible and trying to teach these Scouts to build one won't happen.  ;)  If you can peak their interest in archery their imaginations will take over from there. At the end of the session ask if anyone is interested in learning how to build bows have their dads(or Moms) check into Primitive Archer website.
  You could teach them how the bows were used in the Cherokee culture, ie. hunting, corn stalk shooting and even for portection. Before you know it your time will be over.   Have fun and make it fun for the other kids.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:33:11 am »
I agree with Pat. I think the period dress is a good idea. Sounds like you got your work cut out for you. That's a pretty young group. Good luck. I hope you generate some long-term interest in that bunch!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline sound maker

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:00:29 pm »
 Being dressed in period attire will always get their attention and with different bows being shown when they first get there will help you along and help out with the theme. Also if you can get some pictures showing people shooting those bows and making them too will make it easier, maybe a powerpoint show for like 20-30 mins talking about how they where made and used for and then spend the rest of the time with them holding and looking at the bows and arrows (not together or someone might go for a shot) :o ;D. its always a good idea to have props on hand because kids always get more interested if the topic on hand is able to get into their hand ;D ;D!!
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.