Author Topic: squirrel curiosity  (Read 17148 times)

Offline possum

squirrel curiosity
« on: September 01, 2007, 01:14:14 pm »
Out of curiosity, do squirrels carry a parasite during a certain time of year like rabbits do?  Someone was asking because they hit a squirrel and were going to eat it.  Besides the bruising factor I had been told they had a parasite like the rabbits do.  Are they edible or not?

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline mitchman

Re: squirrel curiosity
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:47:02 pm »
grey squirrels are hosts for some tapeworms round worms and ticks, botfly larvea also live in them in the fall. but none of this taints the meat it should be ok to eat.

Offline possum

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 01:57:12 pm »
thanks.

can't wait til season in Oct.  been practicing with my bow. :)

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 02:02:43 pm »
I have seen "wolves" on squirrels and rabbits. A "wolf" is a parasite the gets under the skin and develops. Looks like a large tumor on the squirrel but once cold weather get here the "wolves" disappear. I doubt if they affect the meat but I don't know for sure.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 02:10:50 pm »
Yeah, like Pat said, a lot of the squirrels and rabbits around here have "wolves" (botfly larva) but by the time squirrel season opens, they're usually gone. I don't believe they would affect the meat, but they sure don't look very appetizing. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 02:44:17 pm »
here in ny opener is today, never had any issues with meat warm or cold weather. 
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 03:56:50 pm »
  Wolves don't hurt the meat.I just cut the meat away where it's at.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

kdub

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 11:59:37 pm »
i bet if you cook it good enough it'll be ok... or it may cause you to host brain eating parasite.  jk

Offline possum

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 08:56:02 am »
He'd just go hungry up in my head.

mebane NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 09:21:18 am »
The wolves up here would eat the squirrel then you ;D ;D ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Loogster

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 06:55:45 pm »
The squirrels have always had a few homes in front of our kitchen window and I have no idea about the squirrel season but their a nuscience (sp?) in when you live on a ranch. I just open the kitchen window and get the .22 out when no ones around  ;D
Ive kinda always been afraid to eat one though.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:26:04 pm »
The squirrels have always had a few homes in front of our kitchen window and I have no idea about the squirrel season but their a nuscience (sp?) in when you live on a ranch. I just open the kitchen window and get the .22 out when no ones around  ;D
Ive kinda always been afraid to eat one though.

I cold never see trhowing a squirrel away. Tastiest meat around, and the skins have hundreds of uses.

Loogster

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 07:53:25 pm »
next one that goes down im eating then. Cant be so bad if this many people eat them.
Im kinda excited  :D

Offline mitchman

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 07:08:19 pm »
hey what kinda of uses do you use the skins for.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 07:12:35 pm »
  Cut the skins in a spiral and make some strong strings.Or send the tails to Mepp's Minnows Lure company and they will send you a lure.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?