Author Topic: Latest attempts at points  (Read 7115 times)

DBernier

Latest attempts at points
« on: September 01, 2007, 03:59:31 pm »
Been messing around with these for a while. Sometimes I have to stop and put them away before I do something stupid,  :o  and then look at them again later on. The one on the left was going to be a Dalton till I broke a corner, so I just rounded it. I believe the material is Fl. coral. Been to long. The second from the left is Fl. coral. It is a big one because it is easier for me to hold them right now. The other big one is Basalt and it is still a work in progress. I have two hinges on this side and will seek advice on attacking them from the other side, or just leave them alone. The Dalton is also Fl. coral and worked really nice for me after heat treating it all. The bottom middle is Obsidian from Justin. My flake scars are finally getting longer and I will be practicing that this winter on all the bi-faces I have been making.

Dick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Latest attempts at points
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 05:05:13 pm »
Coming along nicely, Dick. I'd hunt with any of them.   Pat

ps. any idea what time you are coming tomorrow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 06:03:21 pm »
Lookin' good. that coral Dalton is killer.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 06:49:46 pm »
Looks good to me Dick, I know I can't make em. I'm still at the ugh me bang two rocks together stage ;D
Usually I just smash my fingers :-[
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 07:04:10 pm »
  Very nice Dick.Nothing wrong with those points.Is that some of the coral Vincent got from Rick?Sure looks like some good coral.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Tom B

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 07:50:09 pm »
They look good to me.Knapping is a skill that eludes me.Keep up the good work.Tom

DBernier

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 09:16:06 pm »
Thanks guys, Eddy, yes it is. Actually it is some Rick let me have when we, Vinson and I, were at his place. He is a generous guy. I have about 5 three quart buckets I have to slab. I have an area set aside for a permanent fire pit in back of the house. I will photograph the process when I do it. Maybe it will help somebody. I also have a heat treating furnace I can use for small batches. Hey Hillbilly, I'll save the Dalton for you. I owe you another one remember? Its here when you come over to hunt. BTW when is that?

Dick

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 10:19:02 am »
Dick, I'd be proud to have it in my display case. Got you a couple made, too. I'll hopefully be down there in early November-the week of muzzleloader season or the week before.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 12:13:39 pm »
I like em Dick, makes me wanna get after some more. Have momma doos today, maybe tomorrow. Those hinges can be a bugger and have ruined many a point for me - sometimes you can attack them from across the stone with percussion, or sometimes you can get ahold of em with the Ishi stick - always a bugger ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

DBernier

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 01:22:37 pm »
Hey Cowboy, you got that right on the hinges. I will be seeing Vinson in October for a few days (HELP!!!!) and then Hillbilly should be here in November. Between the two of them I "should" get it cleared up---I hope. Hope to have Venison in the freezer by then. Going out this afternoon and climb into my tower and do some glassing. Sure is nice here today.

Dick

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 03:09:36 pm »
Attempt ??? ??? Those are great looking points.  I wish I could smash rocks that pretty.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

DBernier

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 04:28:37 pm »
Justin, because I don't practice like Charlie B., Vinson, James, Hillbilly and some of the other guys, I will always be a hit and miss type napper. I can make one, what I consider a nice one, and then make/brake several or screw it up somehow. I try and keep to the basics and not get "TOO" fancy. If I do that perhaps I can embed it in my brain and come out with better points more frequently. All I can do is try. My "theme" this year is bi-face, bi-face, bi-face and more bi-faces. Now that is good practice. I'll post a good photo of that Basalt one if I get the hinges off of it. I also have to remember to put a scale next to them when photographing them.

Dick

jamie

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 07:33:51 am »
dick they look great. i like that dalton. im gonna have to try that.  if i get a hinge earlier on in the formation of the point and i cant reach it from the opposite side i will build it up even more so there is a prominent edge that i can get under and pop the whole thing off. took me a while to realise i could do that. i smashed more points on the floor trying to get rid of hinges .

DBernier

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 07:46:26 am »
Thanks Jamie. I know the feeling when you screw up on platform prep, yep saw it right off, you say to your self. I just put the point in my box of, "Hey stupid, don't do that", points. I can look at each one and remember what happened when "I did that".

Dick

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 11:07:49 pm »
  Dick those little "jewelers tools" I had were for lifting those hinges off.I like steel for that,they won't bend.If they do it's time to come in from the other side like Jamie said.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?