Author Topic: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics (Tool Pics added on pg.6)  (Read 43637 times)

Rich Saffold

Re: New Hornbow Pics
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 02:40:11 pm »
Hey Pa,  Your bow looks great!, and fast as well.
Rich

Tilbilly

Re: New Hornbow Pics
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 03:06:41 pm »
Here's s'more pics sent from Ekwos( Dad )that will help answer more questions. We live 1/2hr apart, so I'll show him how to download his own pics when I see him next.

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics(and more added)
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 10:52:55 pm »
Did you lay the sinew down as one big layer ,or several layers?

Ralph

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 02:19:16 am »
Hi Ralph.They were laid down in several layers till I had the thickness that I thought right in the bending section (too thick) as it turned out

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 01:47:46 pm »
Good Grief. Some people have all the talent.  Kudus to your father for his skill. Got this fine bow bookmarked for Backed Bow of the Month for September, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Tilbilly

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2007, 05:31:29 pm »
Looks like the TBB's were a great idea for a retirement gift from your family...........

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:36:43 pm by Tilbilly »

Tilbilly

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2007, 05:32:32 pm »

Tilbilly

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2007, 05:35:03 pm »
Figgered a view of the horn,plus more construction stuff, wouldn't hurt.
Horn and sinew added. Sinew is drying. Definitely a high-stress affair.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:02:53 pm by Tilbilly »

Offline Dane

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2007, 07:51:01 pm »
A picture is worth a thousand words, most definately this time. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to post. Very informative! I found the length of the ears (sirahs) surprising, and the v splices are well illustrated.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2007, 09:52:02 pm »
Again, that is simply incredible! When you're used to all wood bows, seeing that reflex is just stunning! 8)
How much of that reflex did it hold after curing, and did it loose any after being shot in?

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 10:40:58 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.Kviljo,the reflex continued after that last pic so that the siyahs were side by side . I t didn't need a string to hold it in place. Kept on tightening the string while the sinew was contracting.After curing used a spreader after first warming the bow , then let it sit for a few days.It was opened up far enough to put the what they call tepeliks .You tie them in the position where the hinges go that will determine the shape and that the limbs will bend mainly in these areas.They will also bend in the area just in front of the siyahs .After all that it goes  on the tillering board and goes to the first pegs.A couple of days later to the next and so on.Each time it needs to be warmed up.Tillering is not the same as with a selfbow.If you were careful and made all the components equal, It should come in halfway decent .If one limb is a bit stiff then it needs some heat applied and over bent in the stiff area.Eventually it will come in.If you keep the bow in a warming box,much of the reflex will come back.More pic on the way to explain some of this stuff.The next bow will be more fully documented.Cut my teeth on this one. Eppo I mean , Ekwos

Offline Jbell

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 01:29:33 am »
I am absolutely facsinated by Turkish and other horn bows as well. Thanks a ton for all the information you have givin us. If I can ask, where did you obtain the information for building this bow. I have researched these type of bows before but there is not alot of info out there, unless I am looking in the wrong place. Btw, your bow is amazing!
Justin Blunt

a finnish native

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 04:49:42 am »

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2007, 09:36:58 pm »
Tilbilly( Al ) here on Ekwos' s (Pa' s, Dad' s, Eppo' s ) ' puter. Got to see the horniferous beast in action at Pa' s backyard. Quite the bow. We got it on the Hanson scale and it came to about 75#@28" !!!  I'm no small boy, but I could tell it was heavy duty shooting it before we scaled it.
Moves an arrow with authority and at 15 yards I was within 2" of bullseye for 3 consecutive shots.
It pulls smoothly but I'm especially impressed with the quietness. Imagine the quietest longbow you' ve encountered. That quiet. Needs absolutely no string silencers. I like how this design needs no string bridges. Just one more thing to damage if it became a hunting bow IMHO.
Hope to get a few more pics of hornbow related stuff this week.

Offline Dane

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2007, 10:47:05 am »
I was curious about the bridge issue.

How about protecting the sinew back? I know snakeskin and birch bark have been used with some Asiatic designs. Maybe I just can't tell in the shots, but any comments about that?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts