Author Topic: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics (Tool Pics added on pg.6)  (Read 43542 times)

Offline Ekwos

Re: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics(string/tiller board pg.5)
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2007, 12:38:27 am »
Kviljo,the horn is par.all the way except about under the last half of the siyahs , the it is tapered so at the end you can almost see through it.The sinew is about 5.5mm on the arms with a slight taper to near where the siyahs start.Ekwos

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2007, 10:20:33 am »
Thanks! I'll be roughing out a pair of horns today then :)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2007, 12:40:35 am »
     Man, you guys are tearing me up.  I do want a horn bow, or aisian style bow.  thought I might try to make one, one day, but instead of jumping into the horn and sinew, I thought I would try a laminate and fiberglass first.  Then, when I felt bold and froggy enough to jump into the fray, I would try to make a real aisan style, or turkish bow.  Tell your Father, he is a craftsman.
You are lucky to have that much knowledge, and skill, in your family, and still available.

Stickbender

Tilbilly

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2007, 07:52:12 pm »
Ekwos the hornbowyer sent me some more pics today. These are 2 tools he used in the bowmaking process. He made each of these tools. The first tool pictured is a "stringwalker"( meat tenderizer looking thingy  :P )  made of hardwood and is used to firmly wrap cord around the bow after horn has been glued on. Different views are shown here to get a good look at how it's shaped.
Overtightening can result in the cord crushing the project. The tool is THAT effective. The pic of the cord wrapped bow is on pg.1 .

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 08:19:50 pm by Tilbilly »

Tilbilly

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2007, 08:09:06 pm »
The other tool is a "setting mound", or "Tepelik", in Turkish. The high point on the Tepelik is placed where you want to make a bend, or hinge, on the arm of the bow. Then pressure is applied.

A coupla sidenotes:
- Ekwos says people can feel free to contact him for info. on making these tools.
And he says these tools aren't vital. C-clamps and wood blocks can be used, for example, in place of a Tepelik.
-Another hornbow project has been started. This time he'll take pics and document each step (can you say build-along? ). Then he'll post this on PA. He says he's not making this one for any contest. Just simply to encourage others to try their hand at it, it doesn' t take a genius. If you can make a wood bow, you can just as easily make a hornbow.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 08:15:20 pm by Tilbilly »

Tilbilly

Re: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics(string/tiller board pg.5, tool pics pg.6)
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2007, 08:25:40 pm »
I've suggested separate buildalongs for the dedicated tools used. Ekwos doesn't have an entire machine shop at his disposal, but just a few select pieces of equipment can be handy. I think he used his drill press to do alot of the work on the stringwalker. And as he wanted me to mention, there's a way around doing things without making special tools. So don't get intimidated by that.

Offline Jesse

Re: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics (Tool Pics added on pg.6)
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2007, 10:51:06 pm »
What a great bow. I knew I didnt have a shot once I saw that thing. Great job. :)
                                                             Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Tilbilly

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2007, 11:18:19 pm »
What a great bow. I knew I didnt have a shot once I saw that thing. Great job. :)
                                                             Jesse

Regardless of the outcome, they are all winning bows. And even the ones not nominated, in my opinion. Personally I'm still working on making my first successful wood longbow. Work and family commitments
make it hard to find the time. So I look up to you people churning out excellent bows. Pa and I were just saying tonight we're both shocked at the response. I posted his bow to surprise him, and figgered on a few nods. Seeing it nominated, I told him he'd just earned a nice memory/keepsake to go along with that bow.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2007, 11:26:19 pm »
This is a great site isnt it. You get a pat on the back from just about everyone here.
                                                                          Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Belabear

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2007, 04:35:41 pm »
wow!

I shot hungarian bows a while and they are smooth to draw and really fast, no comparison to a bend stick of an elb, but i stayed with the elb at the end.

i always thought about getting  a real hornbow, but will never be able to afford on (1000 $ minimum) so i´ll continue to dream about it!

that´s an fantastic one!

congrats!

belabear