Author Topic: Just how small?  (Read 5541 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Just how small?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 11:09:49 am »
I shot my 3 1/2" all weekend in some wind, slight rain, uphill, downhill, 40 yards down to 15 yards and they performed flawlessly. I doubt I will ever use longer feathers again.  I cant hear my arrows anymore in flight anymore. A well tuned bow/arrow set up never hurt anything either.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mississippidave

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 11:29:57 am »
PD I think that's the key....an arrow that's tuned well to the bow....I definately like the idea of getting more fletches per turkey wing.....I've been cutting them 5" shield and 3" shield for kids arrows.....Two 4" fletches seems more appropriate.....

Offline half eye

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 04:39:04 pm »
PD,
    heres the shape I use. Both are quiet in flight, but the bottom arrow is a lot faster (shoots flatter @ 5/8 yrds more distance). All my huntin arrows are like the top one. Not the way y'all do it but thats what my set-up looks like.
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 05:06:37 pm »
Rich it looks like you use the same "chopper" I do. I like it that way. Every feather is a bit different, but the same still. I will snap a pic of my experimentals when I get time later tonite. They look alot like your lower feathers, but 3" shorter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gianluca100

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 06:24:55 pm »
for years i've been using mainly feathers that were 10cm (3.9") long and 1.5cm (3/5") high (all the way from front to rear).
They fly quiet and stable also with judos and blunts. I almost never shot broadheads because I don't hunt.

Reading what's written here gives me the idea to try a bit smaller ones, maybe 4" long and only 1/2"  high....

thanks for the input  :)
gian-luca

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 09:47:45 am »
  5 inch 1/2 wide this size stableizes broad heads the fastest.
 I had a few people bring me that had troble with arrow flight as some as the switched to broad heads.
  The 5 inch do'nt really matter about sound, and only needs to stablize your head  if your shooting deer at 20 or under. Since I don't hunt 10 rings WITH PRACTICE POINTS I'll stay with the 5 inch. Plus you can see where they hit the deer better.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 08:49:37 pm »
I have used 4 inch about 1/2 at the back cut to less than 1/4 at the front for a long while,if the arrows are tuned right that is all you will need,several reasons,keeps feather off the belly of the grip/get 2 feathers out of each primary
faster and quieter. No brainer for me. :) :)
   Pappy

Yeppers Pappy has it down good.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee