Author Topic: Gordon wins April Backed BOM!!!!  (Read 3888 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Gordon wins April Backed BOM!!!!
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:13:56 pm »
Gordon wins   April   BOM with his sinew backed yew recurve
Congratulations to Gordon from Tigard, Oregon for winning April’s Backed BOM contest!!!

Here is the finished product from Gordon’s “Winter Project” build-a-long with the link below:]http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.0.html]

Here's what Gordon     had to say about his bow:   It took longer to build this bow than usual because I didn’t have much experience with sinew backing and documenting each step was rather time consuming.  That said, I’m satisfied with how both the bow and the build-a-long turned out.

This design was inspired from a bow that was made by Steve Alley.  That bow is shorter and wider and has a painted back, but is otherwise similar. Unfortunately the owner drew the bow well beyond its limit and broke it. His misfortune, however, was my good fortune as I was able to deconstruct the bow to examine in detail how it was constructed. I must say that in spite of being broken, the bow was masterfully crafted.

This is a sinew backed yew recurve. Nock to nock length is 57”and draw weight is presently 58# @ 27”. The draw weight increased 3 pounds from when I tillered the bow to completion. I expect the bow will gain a few more pounds yet before the sinew completely stabilizes given the high humidity during construction.  The limbs are 1 5/8” wide at the fades tapering evenly to ¾” at the tips.  The bow holds 3” of reflex at rest. Total mass is 20.5 ounces.

The wood is high-elevation yew harvested from the North Oregon Cascades.   The bow is backed with 2 ½ courses of sinew and covered with diamond back rattle snake skins. The skins were purchased through Pine Hollow Longbows. The tips are wrapped with sinew and painted black. The handle is tanned deer hide stained with mahogany leather dye and finished with a John Strunk style lace pattern and leather varnish. The limbs are finished with nine coats of Tru-Oil.

Here are some of the comments from forum members: 
Excellent in every detail Gordon.  Well done my friend, Can't wait to see her in person, and slightly intimidated for our fun shoot off. That looks like it should be a great shooter.  Keenan
that is a great looking bow, and might i ad looks masterfully crafted too. sa
Wow!!!  Gordon, that is beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person. You, sir, are an artist. Weylin
Another stunning work of art.. absolutely incredible.. Jon
That turned out excellent Gordon! Very nice build allong and as always tiller and detail work look great! Elktracker
Chapeu!
A beautifull bow and a very usefull buid along, Gordon.  David

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Gordon wins April Backed BOM!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:37:48 pm »
Excellent as always Gordon 8)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Keenan

Re: Gordon wins April Backed BOM!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 08:15:11 pm »
Congratulations my friend, After seeing that bow up close and seeing how incredibly well it shoots, I must say very well deserved win. Fantastic bow!