Author Topic: days later, stinging nettles still aggravating me??? help  (Read 32536 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: days later, stinging nettles still aggravating me??? help
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 02:26:26 pm »
I certainly hope you're not still suffering from this 5 years later.... ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 03:42:57 pm »
Been through lots of that nasty stinging nettle stuff fetching hounds treed along rivers for years.In August at maturity is when they are the most potent.The heads of them so to speak.Heat and sweating during exposure onto skin makes it worse along with itching and spreading it.Usually goes away on it's own like you said but can linger a bit.Cooling the area always feels better.I'm sure I did'nt need to tell you that....lol
Like you I'm not bothered by poison ivy either.It's a personal bio reaction thing I think for each individual.Some fellas swell way up just with it touching their pants.
As people get older their natural allergy immunity to things can weaken.Could be that too what your experiencing.Next time getting that material for strings or for whatever reason wear a longer sleeved shirt.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 05:08:06 pm »
Try laying some tape on it next time. When you pull it off a lot of the nettles go with it. I hate going barefoot and hooking a plant between the toes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 07:47:57 am »
I was stung by a Buck Moth caterpillar which broke spines off in my leg. I scraped the area with a knife, big mistake as I broke the spines off below the surface of my skin. Every time I moved my leg a certain way I got stung again, the poison sacks are in the spines. This went on for months, I tried tape, no luck. Next I tried a bikini wax kit, no luck. Lastly I tried  Biore blackhead remover strips and got the spines. Too much time had passed, I had been stung too many times, the poison is a neurotoxin and I now have a permanently numb 3" circle on my leg below my knee.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 12:12:35 pm »
Time to see a real dermatologist, maybe?  Several OTC products available now also have lidocaine and antihistamine added to stop the itching.  Sounds like your "built in anti itch warranty" expired! the things the others mentioned work to some degree, but results may vary.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry