Author Topic: rock run and quick sand  (Read 2777 times)

Offline iowabow

rock run and quick sand
« on: May 24, 2012, 11:46:46 pm »
Isaac and I had a great time bow fishing and spear fishing.  I took a backpack with me to load rock and found some nice stone but on the way back there was a problem.  I have walked creeks my whole life and never got trapped by the sand on the delta side of a lull in the creek. With my pack loaded I figure the extra wt drove me deep in 2 foot of water so I could see 1 foot in front of me so I took another step and went to my hip with the left leg.  I really did not think it was a big deal until I tried to pull it and it was locked like in concrete.  Isaac went and got a log for my right knee so I would not have both in the deep sand.   Man at this point things were not good the sand was putting a lot of wt on the left leg and sand was filling back in as fast as I could dig.  I left the phone at the house so not to get it wet.  As I dug a flat rock came out of the sand I used it to dig as deep as I could reach and Isaac dug until his head was at the water.   Was considering having him run to a near by house but I took the spear handle and pushed it to my foot and then used it to start digging.   Once we got below the knee to the shin I gave it a pull and no way was it coming out so we kept digging till I got to the top of the sock and I gave a hard pull and out I came.  If I was alone and had both feet in it would not have gone well.  I walk in a lot of sandy creek bottoms and never had this happen before. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Bevan R.

Re: rock run and quick sand
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 11:51:12 pm »
Glad you had a buddy with you! Stopped shaking yet?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:06:34 am »
Well I did not want to sound over dramatic but there was a storm coming and that creek fills fast.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:18:27 am »
Like I said, I am glad you had someone with you and that BOTH of you are safe.

(Just wondering, did you make it home with the rock? >:D)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:22:13 am »
I got one bucket out of the deal. Lol I never thought to take the pack off during the whole ordeal

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:29:34 am »
 :laugh: :laugh:I was wondering. That was never mentioned in your narrative.

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 01:00:41 am »
That will really make someone stop & think about how an easy, simple day can go south on you. Really glad your alright. Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 01:45:43 am »
did you holler out "OOOGA BOOGA!!!"?  probably woulda got you out the first pull.  ;)  way to go w/ the team work.  glad all turned out well.  now how about that rock? dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 02:52:27 am »
I will post a pic in the morning

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 07:54:22 am »
Went to my waste in mud hiking by myself. Exhausting mentally and physically. Glad you're ok
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 09:33:37 am »
Glad to hear you're OK good thing you had someone with a cool head to help you extract you're self. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 10:44:11 am »
   I don't know why but that sand was compressing my leg and that made me very nervous.  Isaac was a cool cat through the whole deal.  It took a long time to dig out and I sanded the end of the finger nail down to the skin in the process.  I just went in so easy like as if the sand was not there but then we I tried to come out it was like I was in concrete. You just would not think it would hold you so tight but the wt of the water above must make a big difference

Offline seider

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 11:36:00 pm »
Sounds like it had a real good suction on you.  Glad to hear you are alright and made it out ok. 
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 08:29:18 am »
I was in the boundary waters canoeing and fishing for 3 weeks and on our way out my buddy and I had found that the forest service had busted all the dams on the already low river that we needed to take to get out. To the right and left a 1/2 mile of pure swamp. Using our paddles like a cane to try to find something solid below our feet we went on thought 3 foot+ OF NASTY PURE BOG dragging our canoe and gear!!!  That 1/2 mile took us about 6 hours. By the end we had both lost our shoes. Not to mention the last week before we were basically out of food and had been living on pike and walleye. Not a easy thing to do on maybe 500 calories a day! Like you said I would never want to try that alone. That day we pulled each other out the bog many times.