Author Topic: fluted knife (pic heavy)  (Read 1664 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
fluted knife (pic heavy)
« on: May 24, 2012, 10:53:09 am »
george town

first flute ran fairly deep but not enough depth

indirect punch prepared for second flute. i usually strike with a billet with hammerstone

flute removed

aside from one flake the base is untouched after fluting

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: fluted knife (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:09:03 pm »
Your a lot braver than i am Jamie! Or maybe i just haven't built up the nerve after all the beautiful half points i have laying around. lol.. Nice blade!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:55:52 pm »
Awesome work with abo tools Jamie! Good looking flutes! Do you support the would be flute to get the most out of it?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline jamie

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:21:28 am »
Paul I break them too but using the punch minimizes the breakage. Depending on the flake scars I can tell how far the flute will travel too. Tracy for a piece like this I just grip the edges hard, for a longer piece I place an anvil against my leg to support the tip. Still haven't gotten a flute to travel to the tip of the point with the leg method though. Several of the primitive jigs I've come up with get it pretty close though. I'm just too lazy to set everything up though
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:23:45 am »
Hey jamie are you taking two flakes from the backside?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 10:34:55 am »
That's very nice.  I haven't worked the nerve up to try for a big flute.  Don't make many points large enough.  Someday...  Thanks for posting those pics.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jamie

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:29:20 am »
Not sure if you mean relief flakes or flutes. I relieve the sides of the platform with two flakes before fluting. I've also done multiple flutes on one side of a point if the flute channel is narrow. Thanks George, all a flute is is a thinning flake. If you have a decent center ridge, fluting is fairly easy. Flat pieces are tougher to flute.

waterbury, ct

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:37:04 pm »
What George said X2. I can break points easy enough with trying to do it intentionally!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.