Author Topic: snake skin  (Read 1874 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

snake skin
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:41:42 pm »
Here's a pic of the skin from a black racer I picked up the other day. Think ill put it on a sheath or knife handle.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline osage outlaw

Re: snake skin
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »
That kind of looks like a black rat snake to me.  It has a faint visible pattern on it.  I've skinned lots of black rat snakes and they all have that same faint pattern.  The black racers are solid black and have different/smaller scales.  They are a lot harder to de-scale than the black rat snakes.  At least that is what I have observed in my area.  It could be different in another part of the country.  I probably have a skin that matches that one if you want to use them to back a bow with.  If your interested, PM me and we can work out a trade  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:08:41 pm »
Yep looks like a eastern black snake to me..I've used them on several bows..Once you get the scales off, they actually have a pretty cool pattern.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:24 pm »
well im actually out of dry staves right now and all the staves that i do have are still green( just cut a lil over a week ago) so unfortunately i dont have any stave to work with right now. But i cant wait for my black cherry stave to dry out some. :)
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:56:20 pm »
You can keep a dried snake skin for a long time. 

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:16:24 am »
Ya ya.. I'm no expert, but it looks like a rat snake to me..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:40:03 pm »
mcginnis, I also have several black racer skins if you want to use one of those.