Author Topic: multiple arrows  (Read 8222 times)

Harrifer

multiple arrows
« on: September 02, 2007, 05:17:19 pm »
This is a total newbie question i know, but I ask only bause I learnt to shoot with modern bows where this is quite impossible.

My question is simple and no doubt you have guessed it from the title. Is it possible to fire multiple arrows from an old fashioned bow?

I only have one bow that I have made so far, a maple flatbow, and I wouldn't like to try it personally, since I have had enough cack-handed shots firing one arrow, let alone two.

I think it seems feasable, on a bow of a light draw weight, but of course it would be pretty pointless because the power would be divided between the arrows.

So has anybody tried this?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: multiple arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »
If you are asking about a Robin Hood shot and actually hitting the target, NO I don't think it is.  First you would have to learn how to balance two arrows on the arrow rest in a consistant and stable manner.  This would be a near impossible feat with any kind of point other than field.  Now if you move to the rear of the arrow, you would have the nicking point to be concerned with.  Only one arrow can occupy the correct nocking point at one time.  Moving the other 3/8" above/below would cause a huge problem in accuracy.  The grip would also be difficult.  You couldn't really go two fingers under and one over without causing a pinching problem.  If you went fingers under, I think the top arrow would sit on the string at too much of an angle and fall off as often as not.  I think you would have serious safety issues if you even try.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Timmah

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 07:38:27 am »
It is possible as I have done it many times. When shooting with the SCA in their speed rounds I often start with 2 arrows nocked. I have successfully hit the target with both at up to 40 yards. I use 1 arrow above and one arrow below the nocking point and 3 fingers under the arrows. I also have the cock feather inverted on the top arrow so that they sit closer togeather. I have no arrow shelf and cant the bow slightly to keep the arrow points resting one on top of the other. I have also shot 3 & 4 arrows at a time but would not recommend it.

The more arrows you pile on the stronger your bow will need to be. 2 arrows works OK out of my 50# horsebow, 3 or 4 work out of my 70# horsebow but its more of a spray then anything and you need to increase the cant of the bow to keep them piled up straight.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:32:32 am »
There was a teenage kid I used to see around a lot of our local trad/primitive shoots who was quite good at shooting two arrows at a time. Haven't seen him this year, though, don't know if the two phenomena are connected......... :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Timmah

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:57:39 am »
You could be on to something Hillbilly.... Not exactly the safest activity.