Author Topic: There's no "good" rock around here  (Read 4414 times)

Offline FlintWalker

There's no "good" rock around here
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:47:26 am »
For the most part...that's true :(  About the only chert you can find in my neighborhood is a sedimentary conglomerate, of low silica content and so many freeze cracks one light tap usually sends it into a crumbled mess.  Every once in a while I'll find a really small piece of good quality stone but never big enough for a point.  While standing around my boss's truck last week, I noticed this chunk of chert laying in the truck bed. He said he got it out of a hay roller that had picked it up from the field. It was laying in a pile of maybe twenty other pieces of the same type stuff except this piece was WAY better quality and without fractures! Once I got it home and knocked some of the dirt and limestone off of it, the true beauty of the stone was revealed. :o I've never seen another piece like this one!  It's composed of mostly agatized crinoids with dendrites laced all through it. No doubt on of the coolest rocks I've worked!

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Bear Claw

Re: There's no "good" rock around here
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:56:56 am »
Beautiful stone and fantastic points!
Aaron from northwest Arkansas.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:08:51 am »
DAMN,you make the sweetest point's man, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:11:18 am »
DAAAANNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG :o :o
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:17:30 am »
Words cannot express the beauty of those points!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:19:07 am »
AHHA! I was going to dig around and find some of your points Shannon to study your serration's. Was trying to remember what you showed me in the pit that weekend, now i got it :).
Glad to see you posting a point now and then. Beautiful work as always!! Think i'd go hit your bosses hay field..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 08:27:03 am »
OUTSTANDING looking point, especially with the crinoids.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 08:33:16 am »
Shannon, I had to do some haying this week in one of my bosses field an the only thing I founed were 1800 bales of hay :( an one very lucky fawn that just missed going thru haybine :D :D Really cool looking points, How hard was it to knap with all the stuff in there?  Later Bob

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 08:58:09 am »
Think of all the trouble that rock went through just to find you to have it's insides exposed to the world.Good points for sure.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 10:25:22 am »
Rock found the right hands to turn into fantastic points! Great work Shannon, thanks for sharing!

Outback- I'm with you, never found rock bailing, just snakes, turtles and occasional bones and too many darn square bales!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Will H

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 11:31:31 am »
That sure is some killer rock Shannon! You are an inspiration to us all fella! Great work ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline chertle

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 11:49:08 am »
Wow....exceptional!!!!  What beautiful pieces!!!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 12:18:01 pm »
Great Points as usual Shannon.  That rock got lucky finding you.  Looks like it's time to hit the hayfield while the grass in low.  dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 12:29:31 pm »
Thanks to all :)
 Paul, I'm going to that area and take a look around. Surely that wasn't the only piece :-\  Boss did say he thought it was pulled up, when they cleaned out an old pond with a dozer. It may be from a vein down deep....I'll see 8)
 Bob, it worked great! Wish I had more :'(
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 06:52:45 pm »
those are awsome!! any elk should be proud to get shot with one of them
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"