Author Topic: Japanese Yumi  (Read 14544 times)

Timmah

Japanese Yumi
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:07:45 am »
Hey Guys,

I am very keen to attempt a Japanese longbow as a new project. I have been unable to find any information on the construction of these bows. Even the bowyers bibles don't provide much info on the subject. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with making a Yumi? If so does anyone have any plans/dimensions for these bows and the bow forms used? How does one tiller an asymmetric bow??

Cheers,
Tim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: Japanese Yumi
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:58:40 am »
Dang I wish I could remember where I saw an article on these bows could have been PA or somewhere else.
I do remember my impression that they looked complicated but they are very impressive looking. If you do build one please consider a build along
for all of us voyeurs ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 11:01:58 am »
Yep if you find the info and get started on one I'd like to see a build along too.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Tilbilly

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 12:21:27 pm »
I remember Jaap Koppedrayer(sp?) had a video out long ago. He showed making these bows by wrapping them with cord and driving bamboo wedges beneath each wrap of the cord until he had the disired profile. Then into the heat box to cure the glue. Maybe someone else can chime in to elaborate or provide more info.?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 06:03:15 pm by Tilbilly »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 12:24:56 pm »
  See if you can find the book,"Kyudo The Essence and Practice of Japanese Archery".It's by Hideharu Onuma.It has what you are looking for including pictures of the forms and what woods were used.But there was an article in one of the back issues of PA.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 02:16:09 pm »
Try contacting Jaap, at Yumi Bows for info.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 03:07:07 pm »
I thought I was the only one that wanted to make one but didn't know how.  I just cant seem to wrap my mind around the tiller.  I think a build along would definately be in order. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 05:03:30 pm »
There is an article on the design and theory in PA 1999,Volume 7 issue 4 page 45.It is from another article by Mrs. Jaap Koppedrayer,volume 3,I.1
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 06:39:13 pm »
I believe it is tillered like 3 separate bows...one on the bottom and 2 on top.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 06:40:16 pm »

hi!  -  so much i can say: i have made bows using the same sort of limb cross-section; back and belly layer of bamboo, core from vertical bamboo sandwiched between two hardwood stripes. i have learned that from jaap in a clinic he led in germany last summer.
also i learned from him how to use rope and wedges for both gluing the bow up and reflexing it at the same time. yumis are neither made on bowforms nor are they tillered after the gluing process; jaap's video 'all tied up in bowmaking' will show you the rope and wedges method quite well.
the form of the yumi is something quite tricky: not only is the bow heavily asymmetrical and needs to bend in certain ways at certain segments of the limbs, but also is the string supposed to be off center - off the bow to be precise - to the right (seen from belly side) as shown in the picture you posted. the bow can therefore only be shot using a special glove or at least a thumbring.
i would recommend to try a normal longbow
(maybe check:   http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1824.msg22429.html#msg22429  )
or double-curve with this sort of limb cross section before trying a yumi to get familiar with the technique.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 08:56:07 pm »
I will be seeing Jaap this weekend, I will ask if he has any new info or any he recomends. Steve

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 09:22:39 am »
I will be seeing Jaap this weekend, I will ask if he has any new info or any he recomends. Steve

tell him frank from germany says hi, please!
Frank from Germany...

Timmah

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 08:27:23 pm »
Wow Im blown away. No form or tillering! I might try and get my hands on that video.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 10:10:05 pm »
Does anyone know if the Jaap Koppedrayer yumi video is still available anywhere?

Thanks,